Update: semi chisel chain on My new toy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
smokinj said:
yes there is only 10 cc differnts in the two saws

Woops, 56.5 for the 290 and 64.1 for the 390. Same stroke of course but a bigger piston. About 10% more HP for the 390 to pull that longer bar.

Highbeam said:
smokinj said:
yes there is only 10 cc differnts in the two saws

Woops, 56.5 for the 290 and 64.1 for the 390. Same stroke of course but a bigger piston. About 10% more HP for the 390 to pull that longer bar.
its wild how a few more cc makes that much of a difference my 260 is 50cc with 16 in bar and you can bog it down with that little 16 in. bar, the 460 is a 77cc saw with 28 in bar and doesn't miss a beat even when beaver tailed ( bar buried all the way)
and the price deference in a few cc does seem like your being rip off

^^ Yep I hear ya. I just couldn't justify the xtra cash for the pro model. A few cc's does go a long way though. Next saw I have my eye on is the 460 magnum or dare I say the 660 magnum. Droooool

Arlo said:
^^ Yep I hear ya. I just couldn't justify the xtra cash for the pro model. A few cc's does go a long way though. Next saw I have my eye on is the 460 magnum or dare I say the 660 magnum. Droooool
just seen one on craiglist for 550.00 if you do a good port job you can bring that 390 into the 441 range pretty cheap! somthing to keep in mind for latter on

Do you have a link for that port and exhaust mod. I have googled and found alot but it is hard to find a reputable source. If I do it, it will be after the warranty runs out and I want to make sure I do it rite. Did you do it? if so I would love to hear more and see some pics if possible. Thanks!

Arlo said:
Do you have a link for that port and exhaust mod. I have googled and found alot but it is hard to find a reputable source. If I do it, it will be after the warranty runs out and I want to make sure I do it rite. Did you do it? if so I would love to hear more and see some pics if possible. Thanks!
http://www.racesaws.com/index.php many treads on it keep it simple and learn to tune it yourself! http://www.racesaws.com/showthread.php?t=3319
http://web.archive.org/web/20051018212959/www.madsens1.com/sawtune.htm

Thanks SmokinJ, great links!!

Bump ^^ :) go back to first page for update

DSC05657-600x450.jpg

Arlo said:
truck_susp_029-600x450.jpg

My new ms390. I'm running a safety chain right now but I just ordered a semi chisel chain. Can't wait to let it rip with a semi chisel. I got all the wood from a local construction site. I asked the site boss and he was cool with me bucking it up and loading it away. I also bought a pair of chaps and gloves. This saw can rip. Some will knock the 390 but I'm lovin it.

Update: The saw cuts sooo much better with this chain. Ripped a few 18" face x 22" lgth red oak rounds I had stacked whole, once it grabs, it pulls the saw through, spitting out long red chips. If you get this chain, get some chaps. There's definitely potential for harming yourself if your not careful. I personally learned my lesson last year and now I don't go near a saw without steel tips, chaps and gloves and eye gear. If I'm felling, I get the hard hat .

DSC05657-600x450.jpg

DSC05655-525x600.jpg

that noodleing

So was it a Stihl chain? I just put on my NIB stihl chain that I got from the dealer with the saw as a freebie and I don't know if it is semi chisel or what. It looks just like your new chain and has a single bright yellow/green link does yours have that. The box says has a 72e and an RSF on it but I don't know what that means.

Oh and yes, it cuts way better than the OEM safety chain.

I should be getting a chain grinder for my birthday.

Highbeam said:
So was it a Stihl chain? I just put on my NIB stihl chain that I got from the dealer with the saw as a freebie and I don't know if it is semi chisel or what. It looks just like your new chain and has a single bright yellow/green link does yours have that. The box says has a 72e and an RSF on it but I don't know what that means.

"rsf" is super full skip chain

smokinj said:
Highbeam said:

Thanks Smokin, is it a semi chisel chain? Why is it super? I always thought skip chain would have way less cutters. The yellow/green link made me think it might be safety chain but it does not have the safety double rakers like the OEM chain.

I'm actually glad it's a skip since I only have the measly 290 and a 20" bar.

Highbeam said:
smokinj said:
Highbeam said:

Thanks Smokin, is it a semi chisel chain? Why is it super? I always thought skip chain would have way less cutters. The yellow/green link made me think it might be safety chain but it does not have the safety double rakers like the OEM chain.

I'm actually glad it's a skip since I only have the measly 290 and a 20" bar.
here is the full report
OILOMATIC® STIHL RAPID™ Super Full Skip (RSF)

STIHL RAPID™ Super Full Skip is the skip pattern version of STIHL RAPID™ Super. There are two tie straps between every two cutting teeth, allowing better chip discharge and higher chain speed and less sharpening maintenance with powerful saws and long guide bars.

3/8"
1/4" .325" 3/8" .404" PICCO

0.050" 3953
witch is full chiesl "super" stands for the shape of the cutter

290 with skip is the same set up big redd runs, seems the smart way to go with 20in bar on a 55cc saw NICE SET UP!

Status
Not open for further replies.