UPDATED: Want Saw: Stihl/Husqvarna/Jonsered/Echo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkxingu

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2007
S.NH
Hello There,
Long story short: bought a new stove last fall (Englander 13), loved using it on weekends (about 1 cord total). Have empty wood rack. Had large maple taken down in yard last week. All large pieces left. Dad's 18" Craftsman blows (long enough, but no sack). Bought Fiskars Pro Splitting Axe and plan on scavenging wood (probably only down stuff) for the rest of my life.

So, I want a saw. I have dealers (mom and pop) near me that sell Husqvarna, Stihl, Jonsered, and Echo (no Dolmar). Suggestions on which models to look for? I'm looking to spend $300 or so, and any suggestions, advice, or comments would be helpful.

Thanks!

SML

If your budget is $300 for chainsaw and safety gear you aren't going to do much better than your dad's Craftsman.

6 layer chaps that wrap around your ankles - ~$80
Helmet with mesh visor and ear protection - ~$50

The $170 left basically buys the Craftsman or Poulan Pro 42cc saw. You need ~$400 left to buy a quality saw that's significantly faster. If you decide to step up to that level I suggest you look at the Husqvarna 353/Jonsered 2152, the Husqvarna 359/Jonsered 2159, the Stihl 260, or the Stihl 290. The Echo CS-530 is a fine saw as well, but I'm a Husqvarna fan so I'd take the 353/2152 over it for the same price.

Need more info for sound advice

How many cord a year do you plan on cutting?
What in a saw is important to you? power? weight? bar length?
Large maple...how large?
If this is going to be your only saw, a little bigger is better than smaller IMHO.
In the end, I'd save up another $100-200 and splurge on a better saw if you plan on cutting for years to come.

Or I could just say buy a stihl and be happy! :coolsmirk:

A good used saw with the brand names mentioned may be in order for this fellow. Does your Ma and Pa shop have any used ones they could sell with a good honourable cutting season warranty. This may give you another avenue with your budget. Cheers and good luck.
N of 60

I've taken apart a soft maple that was 4 feet in diameter with a saw just like your father's. A sharp, really sharp, chain will make all the difference. I've seen where the saw was incredibly frustrating on a foot thick maple branch when the chain was dull.

I eventually picked up a 290 like mentioned above and it's a great improvement. But that little saw will do work on large trees.

Shortening the bar will give the saw more power. The 290 with a 16" bar has 3.5cc per inch of bar. Your Craftsman will have 3cc with a 14" bar. It currently has 2.3 and as you have seen, is a bit small for the bar length.

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:
Shortening the bar will give the saw more power. The 290 with a 16" bar has 3.5cc per inch of bar. Your Craftsman will have 3cc with a 14" bar. It currently has 2.3 and as you have seen, is a bit small for the bar length.

Matt

Agreed on the bar length. An underpowered saw also leads the sometimes impatient operator to push the saw further compounding the problem. Any of the brands you mentioned in the 70cc range will compliment the saw you have nicely. It will likely also be the last saw you buy for the amount of wood you consume. Alternatively, get a shorter bar and a fresh stable of chains and use the saw you have.

ms 290 or husky rancher

If you are going to buy a Husky, which is an awesome saw, buy it from one of those "mom and pop" stores you mentioned. Don't buy it from a "big box" store. It is not the same saw and if you plan on having it for a long time, you will want the service and experience that comes with it. IMO it is worth a couple of extra bucks. Just my two cents...

I outgrew my hardware store saw and bought an MS290 Stihl for 389$ plus tax. It has 20" bar. You can't just look at engine displacement (cc) per inch of bar length because some saws make much more power per cc of engine displacement. It's like saying my 400cc trail bike is faster than a 250cc race bike.

The Stihl MS290 was the winner for me due to low cost, high reputation, high dealer support, warranty, and name recognition here in the NW. Next choice was a Dolmar 5100s which about 95% of regular people have never heard of. The stihl MS260 is a very expensive "pro" saw with a smaller engine.

Highbeam said:
I outgrew my hardware store saw and bought an MS290 Stihl for 389$ plus tax. It has 20" bar. You can't just look at engine displacement (cc) per inch of bar length because some saws make much more power per cc of engine displacement. It's like saying my 400cc trail bike is faster than a 250cc race bike.

The Stihl MS290 was the winner for me due to low cost, high reputation, high dealer support, warranty, and name recognition here in the NW. Next choice was a Dolmar 5100s which about 95% of regular people have never heard of. The stihl MS260 is a very expensive "pro" saw with a smaller engine.
Highbeam you have seen the "light"

OK, some more info: probably only use about 1-2 cords/year since it's only weekends and school vacation. All wood to be cut would be small standing or all-size downed wood (essentially, I'd like to be able to scrounge without having to borrow my dad's saw).

What I would like is a saw that can cut most anything--fairly large trees, branches, etc.--without any major issues. Even with a brand new chain, this Craftsman takes too much time and effort, so it's time for a real saw.

UPDATE: There is a mom & pop shop my brother has had great luck with that sells Husqvarna, Stihl, and Jonsered, so those are the options.

From what I've seen, I'm leaning towards the Husqvarna 445 (~ $300 with case) or Stihl MS290 (~ $360 w/out case). Suggestions?

S

Well, there is no question that Husqvarna makes a better saw so I would definitely go with that. (Just kidding guys!)

For only $60 more your getting over 10 cc's more engine with the Stihl and you aren't going to need the case so I think the
Stihl is going to be a better value for you.

Wendell,
Thanks for the clear opinion--others agree?

S

wendell said:
Well, there is no question that Husqvarna makes a better saw so I would definitely go with that. (Just kidding guys!)

For only $60 more your getting over 10 cc's more engine with the Stihl and you aren't going to need the case so I think the
Stihl is going to be a better value for you.
x2

UPDATE 2: Found a Dolmar dealer sorta near me: called just to check and 5100 is $460, so I'm still leaning towards Stihl/Husqvarna (by the bye, Husky is Husqvarna, yes?).

Thanks for all the input!

S

thinkxingu said:
UPDATE 2: Found a Dolmar dealer sorta near me: called just to check and 5100 is $460, so I'm still leaning towards Stihl/Husqvarna (by the bye, Husky is Husqvarna, yes?).

Thanks for all the input!

S
yes on the husky

thinkxingu said:
From what I've seen, I'm leaning towards the Husqvarna 445 (~ $300 with case) or Stihl MS290 (~ $360 w/out case). Suggestions?

Between those two for your described usage, I'd certainly go for the 290. The 445 is ~4cc's bigger than the Craftsman while the 290 is ~14cc's bigger.

The 290 has been a great saw for the year-year and a half I've owned it. I don't know a thing about the husky.

I picked mine up with the 16" bar figuring if I needed a longer one I could always pick up the 20 and it would give me a much longer reach. Most of the stuff I get can be handled by the 16"

Matt

If you asking whether Husky=husqvarna, that tells me you have'nt cut alot. So I think it's a bit foolish to recommend a big saw. Pick yourself up a small Husky, from a dealer, say in the 345, 353 range. A sharp chain will compensate for the smaller engine size, and you probably don't need much more than a 16" bar.
Be safe.

On the advice I received here I went with the Stihl MS290 with a 16" bar. I got a free chain with the purchase of a case. I also purchased an 18" bar for the bigger stuff. Great saw.

OK, so the overall opinion (it seems) is that for $50 or so the MS290 with a 16" bar will do all I ever want whereas there is the potential that the Husky might be limited. That's good news since my bro's got the Husky, and I hate getting the same stuff as him!

On a side note, I'm not sure I see the relationship between knowing slang for a company and ability/history. Although I'm certainly not a pro, I've used my dad's saw for a couple years now (along with circular saws, band saws, reciprocating saws, table saws, radial arm saws, crazy framing nailers that'll blow metal chunks through your skull, well, you get the point). Interestingly, I own both a Husqvarna blower and hedgetrimmer and have never heard them called "Husky." Of course, I never joined a forum on blowers!

Thanks again,

S

OK, one more thing: I suppose if I'm looking at spending $360 or so for the MS290, is there something by Husqvarna in the same price range that will be comparable/better? I see they have the 455 Rancher or something?

S

Yes, the 455 and 290 are the same class.

For a similiar job as you're describing, I'm damn happy with my Stihl 250. 2-3 cords cut this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.