UPDATED: Want Saw: Stihl/Husqvarna/Jonsered/Echo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
thinkxingu said:
OK, some more info: probably only use about 1-2 cords/year since it's only weekends and school vacation. All wood to be cut would be small standing or all-size downed wood (essentially, I'd like to be able to scrounge without having to borrow my dad's saw).

What I would like is a saw that can cut most anything--fairly large trees, branches, etc.--without any major issues. Even with a brand new chain, this Craftsman takes too much time and effort, so it's time for a real saw.

UPDATE: There is a mom & pop shop my brother has had great luck with that sells Husqvarna, Stihl, and Jonsered, so those are the options.

From what I've seen, I'm leaning towards the Husqvarna 445 (~ $300 with case) or Stihl MS290 (~ $360 w/out case). Suggestions?

S

Yes,

I bought a saw, and this is my experience:

So, it seems like the common denominator here is to have a good dealer. That being said, I decided against Tractor Supply, Lowe's, and Home Depot and went to a local dealer, R White Equipment in Nashua, NH. He sells all three companies I was looking at: Husky, Stihl, and Jonsered.

First off, it was a busy morning with a few people waiting before and after me. When it was my turn, he said to the others waiting that it might be a while since I had a lot of questions--I liked him right off the bat as he was willing to take his time to make sure I got the right information, even though it was busy.

I explained my situation (see above) and told him I was looking at the MS290 and Rancher 455. He promptly explained that those were bad choices for me. Because of weight and size (ratio?), and what I would be doing with the saw, I would be better off with a smaller unit. He pulled down the two to show me and then said, "this is the saw for you." It was an MS250 (recommended above) and it definitely felt light and nimble compared to the others.

What I liked about the guy was the confidence in his suggestion--I'm sick of wishy-washy people. In any case, I liked it more that he showed me everything about the saw: the air filter, controls, techniques, how to put on the bar and chain, how to tighten the chain, how to sharpen the chain, etc. He spent at least a 1/2 hour showing me the saw. At that point, I wasn't sure about cost but I knew I wanted to buy from this person.

In any case, I paid the man: MS250 with case, manual, and wrench thingie; two chains; file; 1 gallon bar oil; a filled up tank of gas and bar oil, and a whole lot of knowledge: $370.

But we're not done. After he takes my money, he begins to fill out the warranty card for me and put a sticker on the unit so I know who to call with questions. I begin to pick up my stuff, but he says "where ya going?" He grabs the saw, makes sure all the screws are tightened, the bar and chain are snug, that there's gas and oil, and shows me how to start it. He then runs it for a few minutes to make sure the oiling system works and the idle is ok. After he adjusts the idle and re-starts it a couple times, he hands it over and says "have fun, and thanks for your business."

I grab my stuff, the proud owner of a new Stihl saw (talk about romancing the vendor), and begin to walk out as he calls "Oh, and stop by sometime during the week--we can talk about your saw and I'll answer any questions that come up. Sorry I was a little rushed." This after almost an hour of his time.

It was so nice to have what is so rare, but should be the norm, in purchasing experiences, and I was reminded of an old sales quote: "Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten."

I promptly took my saw home and cut the ba-jesus outta that felled maple in my yard. Love the saw, and though it may not be the biggest, most powerful one I could buy, and I may not have gotten the most amazing deal, I've got the saw that works for me, the knowledge on how to use it to its potential, and the comfort of a supportive dealer. To me, those are priceless.

Thanks for your help everyone,

S

OK now fess up. Did you get the one with easy start? Glad your happy with it. You can always trade up safely in the years to come.
N of 60

thinkxingu said:
OK, so the overall opinion (it seems) is that for $50 or so the MS290 with a 16" bar will do all I ever want whereas there is the potential that the Husky might be limited. That's good news since my bro's got the Husky, and I hate getting the same stuff as him!

On a side note, I'm not sure I see the relationship between knowing slang for a company and ability/history. Although I'm certainly not a pro, I've used my dad's saw for a couple years now (along with circular saws, band saws, reciprocating saws, table saws, radial arm saws, crazy framing nailers that'll blow metal chunks through your skull, well, you get the point). Interestingly, I own both a Husqvarna blower and hedgetrimmer and have never heard them called "Husky." Of course, I never joined a forum on blowers!

Thanks again,

S

If you ask nicely, Brother Bart wood prolly give you the link to the blower forum! :wow:

North,
One question I didn't get to ask was about starting although I wanted to because some people online have mentioned Stihls being hard to start. The dealer showed me how to do warm and cold starts, and the thing fired right up. Later in the day, the saw started with one pull every time.

I did not know there was an easy start version, but I prob'ly wouldn't have gotten it because I hate extra parts.

As for the blower forum--I've already got a sa-weet Echo, so I'm good!

S

Status
Not open for further replies.