Upgrading from a Baby Bear

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ocdgal

Dec 7, 2021
US
Got a pretty nice baby bear in our main living room. The original owners of the home bills in addition and had a chimney built to accommodate the Fisher. when we bought the house two years ago, we opened up the space. It's a large room with vaulted ceilings and no attic. They had some baseboard heaters plugged up to extension cords but we took them out. The baby bear is the only source of heat in this room, and while it does a decent job, it is so in efficient. It typically heats the top level of our home at least three degrees. I'd really like to replace it though so that I don't have to split and house an entire forest of wood for every single winter. We installed a newer much more efficient small stove in the basement with a blower and liner and have been happy with the results.

Do I have any options that would not involve cutting into the existing chimney? As a woman who cares about the looks of the living room, I'm not thrilled about the idea of having a huge hole with just a plate showing. hubby just had the Fisher sandblasted and is in the process of restoring it. Right now I just see this ugly hole and hate to drag it back in here lol.
image.jpg
06180EDE-DBCF-4801-AE5C-0F01EA15513D.jpeg

Got a pretty nice baby bear in our main living room. The original owners of the home bills in addition and had a chimney built to accommodate the Fisher. when we bought the house two years ago, we opened up the space. It's a large room with vaulted ceilings and no attic. They had some baseboard heaters plugged up to extension cords but we took them out. The baby bear is the only source of heat in this room, and while it does a decent job, it is so in efficient. It typically heats the top level of our home at least three degrees. I'd really like to replace it though so that I don't have to split and house an entire forest of wood for every single winter. We installed a newer much more efficient small stove in the basement with a blower and liner and have been happy with the results.

Do I have any options that would not involve cutting into the existing chimney? As a woman who cares about the looks of the living room, I'm not thrilled about the idea of having a huge hole with just a plate showing. hubby just had the Fisher sandblasted and is in the process of restoring it. Right now I just see this ugly hole and hate to drag it back in here lol. View attachment 297884 View attachment 297885
Why would you need a huge hole?

I guess I assumed I'd have to come up higher in the chimney to accommodate a stove with the pipe on top and this existing hole would be deemed unusable since it's specked specifically for the baby bear?

I guess I assumed I'd have to come up higher in the chimney to accommodate a stove with the pipe on top and this existing hole would be deemed unusable since it's specked specifically for the baby bear?
Ok so you either brick it closed or turn it into a clean out

Many newer stoves have a convertible outlet that flips for top or rear vent. Measure the height of what you have, and compare to the height of the newer stove you choose in the horizontal position. The horizontal pipe must rise at least 1/4 inch per foot toward chimney. More is fine if the new stove is lower.

Reactions: VintageGal
Many newer stoves have a convertible outlet that flips for top or rear vent. Measure the height of what you have, and compare to the height of the newer stove you choose in the horizontal position. The horizontal pipe must rise at least 1/4 inch per foot toward chimney. More is fine if the new stove is lower.
Great. This is the info I wanted to have/know. I just assumed there weren't any options. It seems awfully low. 1/4 inch per foot of the stove you mean? I wonder if I can just choose something that falls into these specs.

If I decide to cut into the chimney I assume we just use a wet saw and we'll need to get a liner since the existing is just a clay tile liner. There is no bricking up that hole though. It would never match and would look worse than a plate over the hole.

Great. This is the info I wanted to have/know. I just assumed there weren't any options. It seems awfully low. 1/4 inch per foot of the stove you mean? I wonder if I can just choose something that falls into these specs.

If I decide to cut into the chimney I assume we just use a wet saw and we'll need to get a liner since the existing is just a clay tile liner. There is no bricking up that hole though. It would never match and would look worse than a plate over the hole.
No need for a wet saw. I would just use an impact hammer. Or our arbortech.

And of course the hole can be bricked shut to match we do it all the time. You take the brick out from above and use them to weave in the bottom. Match the mortar and it will disappear. You also many very well need an insulated thimble unless that is solid masonry all the way through.

No need for a wet saw. I would just use an impact hammer. Or our arbortech.

And of course the hole can be bricked shut to match we do it all the time. You take the brick out from above and use them to weave in the bottom. Match the mortar and it will disappear. You also many very well need an insulated thimble unless that is solid masonry all the way through.

Yeah I thought about that after I responded. Hubby is mostly a DIYer but with this I don't know if I want to risk it. Seems like it might be best to attempt to find a stove that works with the existing hole which is my preference anyhow.

Yeah I thought about that after I responded. Hubby is mostly a DIYer but with this I don't know if I want to risk it. Seems like it might be best to attempt to find a stove that works with the existing hole which is my preference anyhow.
If you can that would be great but it's pretty low it may not happen. Also you really should have the current thimble and liner checked there may be safety issues there as well. Most thimbles we're not done correctly.

If you can that would be great but it's pretty low it may not happen. Also you really should have the current thimble and liner checked there may be safety issues there as well. Most thimbles we're not done correctly.
Who would I contact for that? I have a sweep I use he is pretty old school. He's the only one I'm aware of. He didn't even recommend a liner for the basement stove last year when we called him for advice. Didn't sit well with me lol.

We keep it clean but it is heavily used. He has checked the liner and said it's good and checks it every time he cleans.

Who would I contact for that? I have a sweep I use he is pretty old school. He's the only one I'm aware of. He didn't even recommend a liner for the basement stove last year when we called him for advice. Didn't sit well with me lol.

We keep it clean but it is heavily used. He has checked the liner and said it's good and checks it every time he cleans.
I would try to find another sweep. Did he even use a camera to inspect the chimney?

I would try to find another sweep. Did he even use a camera to inspect the chimney?
My husband has been here each time. I *think* he may just use a mirror and light. Is that how it used to be done? I have a call into a different business that doesn't normally service my area, but I plead on their emotions and the lady felt sorry for me so maybe they'll come out. My hubby likes the existing sweep though, and says nothing is wrong with it. It is a short chimney compared to the one we did last year. I'd like to at least put a liner in it if nothing else. I did call the sweep we normally use and he did at least recommend not doing anything to the existing thimble/chimney. I told him I wanted something more efficient and he said people love the baby bears so.... who knows.

I called a Patio & Hearth store and I guess if I purchase the stove from them I have to use their installer. Not sure what my options are. Could you explain exactly what I need to measure? I assume the height of the flue from the floor?

My husband has been here each time. I *think* he may just use a mirror and light. Is that how it used to be done? I have a call into a different business that doesn't normally service my area, but I plead on their emotions and the lady felt sorry for me so maybe they'll come out. My hubby likes the existing sweep though, and says nothing is wrong with it. It is a short chimney compared to the one we did last year. I'd like to at least put a liner in it if nothing else. I did call the sweep we normally use and he did at least recommend not doing anything to the existing thimble/chimney. I told him I wanted something more efficient and he said people love the baby bears so.... who knows.

I called a Patio & Hearth store and I guess if I purchase the stove from them I have to use their installer. Not sure what my options are. Could you explain exactly what I need to measure? I assume the height of the flue from the floor?
Yes a flashlight and mirror was how it was done 30 years ago. They are still a good tool but no substitute for a camera inspection. Honestly how the thimble is done is much more concerning to me that is a potentially very dangerous area.

And yes many people absolutely love fishers. They are good stoves but there are many options available now that our perform them in just about every way

Yes a flashlight and mirror was how it was done 30 years ago. They are still a good tool but no substitute for a camera inspection. Honestly how the thimble is done is much more concerning to me that is a potentially very dangerous area.

And yes many people absolutely love fishers. They are good stoves but there are many options available now that our perform them in just about every way
For those of us that aren’t sure, can you explain an unsafe and a safe thimble.

Reactions: VintageGal
Yes that would be great 😀. I don't really think we have a thimble. It's a fully brick chimney on the outside wall brick all around and all the way thru.

A safe thimble has atleast 12" of solid masonry between the inside face of the clay thimble untill and combustible materials. Most of the time in situations like this there is an inner brick wall then a combustible one then the chimney. Unless the chimmey is pretty wide enough outside or the masonry wall extendsall the way through to the outside

Yes that would be great 😀. I don't really think we have a thimble. It's a fully brick chimney on the outside wall brick all around and all the way thru.
You do have a thimble it's just a question of whether there is enough masonry around it. Can we see a pic from outside?

So meeting all those requirements, it can be metal from face of brick to sticking into clay chimney?
Yes as long as you have 12" of solid masonry between that metal and any combustible materials all the way through the wall to the chimney. That means a 30" circle (or square) all the way through even on the outside wall for a 6" crock 32" for 8". The few I have done I cover that brick outside with flashing. Most of the time I just use an insulated thimble it ends up much cheaper for the customer

If there is siding up to a chimney that is any less than 30" wide outside for a 6" crock it can't be right.

You do have a thimble it's just a question of whether there is enough masonry around it. Can we see a pic from outside?
My brain is just not comprehending lol. My house is brick. I can snap a picture, but there is nothing different about the outside. This is an addition that was added onto the side of the house. There isn't even an attic portion. There definitely isn't any sheetrock at ALL in the room. They used T11 siding inside (or something similar). I'm sorry I'm all sorts of confused.

My brain is just not comprehending lol. My house is brick. I can snap a picture, but there is nothing different about the outside. This is an addition that was added onto the side of the house. There isn't even an attic portion. There definitely isn't any sheetrock at ALL in the room. They used T11 siding inside (or something similar). I'm sorry I'm all sorts of confused.
Ok but is you house brick faced with framed walls inside that? Or is it brick structure? Are you sure there isn't a framed wall between the interior and exterior brick?

Ok but is you house brick faced with framed walls inside that? Or is it brick structure? Are you sure there isn't a framed wall between the interior and exterior brick?
I see what you're saying now. How would I tell? I went outside. It's in the corner so I guess I don't know what they used to form that triangle.

I see what you're saying now. How would I tell? I went outside. It's in the corner so I guess I don't know what they used to form that triangle.
The only way to really know is drill test holes through the mortar to find out what's behind there.