Upland 107 Question- this is is weird

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TWoods

Feb 15, 2016
North Central Maryland
Hi all,

Been going through the on-line literature that I can find for the Upland 107 and my stove doesn't match the manuals. The manuals have a round flu coming out at a top angle...but mine has an oval coming out at back. The baffle is a one piece with a flip level to go between the open door/fireplace mode and the closed door mode (a cigar s burn really when doors are closed). This baffle is a fixed and cannot be move. I need to take off top and rehinge baffle door since it came off on one side.

Any idea why mine is different?

Thank you,

Attachments

• IMG_20191004_194129729.jpg
    IMG_20191004_194129729.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_20191003_191539679.jpg
    IMG_20191003_191539679.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 224
Update....got the baffle out and seems I have some repairs to make ( you can see crack on right side . The handle shaft looks bent too (it was jammed up). Had to drill out the set screw to get handle off and rod out.

With it all out and on top of the stove, one can get a good look at it. Maybe I a missing something, but can someone confirm that there are normally two baffles that can be moved as needed on the 107? I don't see a handle like this on the manuals or brochures that I see.

Thanks,

Attachments

• IMG_20191006_150900841.jpg
    IMG_20191006_150900841.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 230
Looks like you're picturing a damper, not baffle?

The right baffle stays in place, away from the air intake side.
The left baffle should have a rod extending straight through the left side to slide by pulling out, to the left, which opens the center for fireplace mode, pushing in should move baffle to center, against the right baffle, closing the center opening for cigar burn.
Woodman's still has them;
10090.html

Last edited:
Thank you for the response. Something still seems odd to me though .....the only rod my unit has out the left is the one shown...but it opens the flap you see as a damper (new pic attached). There are not two separate baffle pieces to move either (which I was expecting like you) or places where the baffles should be (I.e. if they were missing).....it seems like this whole flap unit was the only thing designed to hang above the firebox and that this flap was used to switch between fireplace and normal mode. Again, weird.

My exhaust port is odd too. It comes out 90 degrees from the top of the rear plate rather than at a lesser angle through the seam of the rear plate and top plate (like the Woodman's pic shows).

Makes me wonder if I have an Upland 107 door on a different stove, or a weird hybrid......

Can someone post a pic of their 107 baffles in the stove?

Thanks again for any insight.

Attachments

• IMG_20191006_203723346.jpg
    IMG_20191006_203723346.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_20191004_194129729.jpg
    IMG_20191004_194129729.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 214
Did you find this page on this website? It should have all the info on the different Upland models available. The originator of this Forum and website owned the factory from '84 to 1989 when they ceased production. There are a few threads found by searching upland as keyword in the search feature too.
upland-stove-company-history

Woodman's listed parts for a Top or Rear Vent 207 in their old parts books, but not optional venting for the 107. There must have been.
Nothing mentioned in the Dealer Handbook at bottom of history page either.

Last edited:
Paging @webbie for some Upland advice.

Reactions: TWoods
Coaly, I did read that page (thank you) before but reread again and there is something about Craig improving the 107 and 207 with a reverseable top rear venting. Maybe that is what is going on. That would make this a late stove (but the serial plate still shows NY b which is earlier (I will double check that though).

I picked up the stove late one night from an older man and his wife on Craigslist in CT. I didn't really have the time to go through it when I picked up (8:00 pm) - it was dark and I had already agreed to buy the stove in order to hold it. The guy was literally moving the next day and closing the sale of his house and he was kind enough to hold it for me (he needed it out and didn't junk it only because he talked to me a few times). The guy did say that his father purchased the stove new in either the late 70s or 80s... He couldn't remember which. So maybe it is either a very early or very late 107.

Thanks again,

Hi All,

This isn't another question I just wanted to share something I found interesting. I am slowly disassembling my 107 for a rebuild and was taking apart the top. Well, it's held on with 4 bolts capped with chrome finials. The neat thing is how they are made...3 pieces...one coarse bolt, one threaded adapter ring, and then the finial cap on top. The bolt has a course thread and the finial has a fine thread (so the adapter mates the two). It's just not what I expected from a factory design, nor what I would have thought to design myself (I would have done 2 pieces: the bolt and then the finial cap). Anyway, every stove has a story and every design has one too I guess.

So if you enjoy little oddities, I hope you like the pic. There may be some practical reason for it (like maybe it's what they had at the factory) but who really knows. I am not an engineer and only a hack mechanic so you could probably fool me with a good theory. Perhaps other stoves have this too.

Attachments

• IMG_20191010_211323825.jpg
    IMG_20191010_211323825.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 210
Reactions: begreen
I suspect you are right. This is probably what was reliably available to solve a problem. The finials definitely are not necessary, but a nice finishing touch.

i have 4 long ones on my defiant. the finials are brass on a steel rod looks like smaller than what you have there. knowing how soft brass is someone that rebuild the stove at one time might have stripped out the original size and drilled and tapped them to what you see.

Reactions: TWoods