Upland 107

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BigAl1962

Jul 29, 2020
New to wood stoves, looking at this upland I believe 107 model. I can get it with the chimney for $400. What should I be looking for when giving this a close inspection?
Screenshot_20200729-133340.pngScreenshot_20200729-133256.png

The Upland was a good stove, but the price is a bit high. Inspect carefully for any cracks, inside or out. I'm not a fan of used chimney pipe in a house. You don't know it's history. I would offer $250 for just the stove.

If you do buy the stove, do not install the heat scavenger to the flue pipe. These things are creosote makers. Use new stove pipe to connect to the chimney without it.

Reactions: BigAl1962
The Upland was a good stove, but the price is a bit high. Inspect carefully for any cracks, inside or out. I'm not a fan of used chimney pipe in a house. You don't know it's history. I would offer $250 for just the stove.

If you do buy the stove, do not install the heat scavenger to the flue pipe. These things are creosote makers. Use new stove pipe to connect to the chimney without it.
I'm guessing the heat scavenger would be that box that is attached to the pipe? Are we using it on an enclosed porch at my campground.

Thank you, I don't care for the appearance of that box either.
They are more trouble than they are worth. And the fan is them is noisy.

They are more trouble than they are worth. And the fan is them is noisy.
I got the stove, and did not find any cracks or damage. I did however take it apart and am re-sealing with Rutland black stove cement. I plan on painting the stove after the cement cures.

I noticed that there is a glass front for the upland 107 available on Amazon. I also noticed in the brochure that it was probably for a completely different door. Is that door available anywhere?

I haven't yet re cemented the stove, is the Rutland black stove cement adequate for resealing? I'm also wondering if painting is a better option than stove polish?

Any advice on this project would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Big Al.

Rutland's stove cement should be ok. Follow the directions and use a generous bead. Wipe up the ooze afterward with a damp rag. Stove Brite metallic black paint looks good on old cast iron stoves. It is superior to stove polish and should stand up longer. Prep the surface well and wipe down with alcohol first. Spray in a very well ventilated area, preferably with a vapor mask. The fumes are bad. Expect to give it 3 light coats for a nice finish.

Okay, I overlooked the door gasket for the upland 107 and I can't seem to find the correct size. Any recommendations for a door gasket for my Upland 107?