Upland 207

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

They Call Me Pete

Burning Hunk
Nov 18, 2007
CT
Came with the house we bought this past September. Pretty good stove and heats the house well. Just need to seal up the "fireplace" doors. I run it with the vent closed on small door and it pulls enough air through them to burn. Former homeowner left about a cord and a half of well seasoned wood but might buy another cord off CL :eek: Momma is enjoying the stove now that it's going. Already have some oak,maple and black cherry stacked for next year but we plan on buying a soapstone stove for the next heating season.

Very cool. The founder of Hearth.com owned Upland. Can you post a picture or two?

Reactions: ecole0579
517B16A4-D10B-4DA6-8F68-2C87622D0F7A.jpeg 693FECB8-CEF5-4CA8-86B3-122E8811BFE6.jpeg D106E67B-5CAD-43AE-B242-95C36E413B43.jpeg
Fired my Upland 207 for the first time tonight. Just bought the house in June. Replaced the door seals yesterday. Currently has a really nice fire going.

Reactions: begreen
Fire was good. Being I’ve never owned a wood stove before, it’ll take a few fires to get the venting right to maintain a slower but still hot fire without needing to keep the draft wheel open too much causing the wood to burn too fast.

Attachments

• 7E444F87-A25B-4867-B808-CE7FA6F487FB.MP4
    5 MB · Views: 165
how long did you get with how many splits?

When you get the front doors sealed it will burn completely different, the way it is supposed to.
Make sure the baffle plates are slid to the correct position when burning with doors closed. Open doors in fireplace mode; slide plates with opening in center. For closed doors slide plates AWAY from inlet side. This is a reverse burn stove that exhaust travels towards intake to slow fire. Sometimes called a cigar burn since it burns from one end to the other. Then rake coals and do it again. Don't overfire due to the large plate on the back being cast and cracking due to it's size of uneven expansion from center to edges. That is the weak panel of the stove. Baffles and plates are still available at Woodman's.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/upland-stove-company-history/

All the steps you have mentioned have been taken. Luckily, the original owners manual was here when I bought the house, so it made it easier to understand the workings of the stove. I get about 4 hours of burn from 3 pieces of wood at a time. When the are burned down to coals, I rake them towards the door and add 3 more.