us stove 5660 auger issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hue001t

Nov 17, 2022
CT
I just bought this stove used. The auger is stuck and i can feel is jammed packed with moist blackened crap I am assuming pellets that got wet and possibly burn back maybe Ive never owned one before. I removed the auger motor and the bearing on the bottom of the auger but I cant get this auger out. Do I have to mess with the I believe it is a bearing at the top of the cylinder the auger sits in? I will buy a new auger if need be but I still need to get this one out. Any help is appreciated.

I'm thinking that stove has a removable auger cover within the hopper, could be wrong though. If so take it off to clean out the auger area if jammed up with wet pellets.

I'm thinking that stove has a removable auger cover within the hopper, could be wrong though. If so take it off to clean out the auger area if jammed up with wet pellets.
I wish it did but it doesn't. It is completely enclosed.

Mine appears to have the same setup. I’ve never had the auger apart. I guess one plus is it always pushes fines through with no issue.

Looking at mine, I don’t think unbolting the top bushing will do a lot, but it may help a little, so do it. Might let things misalign enough to break free. I’m guessing the top bushing goes in from the top and sits on a ledge.

The auger tube is sealed to the firebox. Hopefully don’t have to go there.

If it’s as packed as you say it is, it probably won’t slide out easily. Since you got the auger drive and lower bushing out, I would try sticking a pry bar of sorts up the pellet drop tube from the firebox side, and see if you can engage with the auger flights and encourage it to work down. That or from the bottom of the hopper. Maybe start with a junk hard plastic spoon handle or something that isn’t going to dig things up. You don’t want burrs especially in the auger tube. Something flat that you can rotate. Combined with a pin through the drive shaft area, to help rotate it and pull it out.

Last edited:
I wish it did but it doesn't. It is completely enclosed.
This link has some detail on pulling auger hope it helps.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/auger-problem-us-stove-5660.103374/

Weird according to manual there is a auger cover in the bottom of hopper. Listed in Trouble Shooting Auger does not Function normally:
1668799661455.jpeg

1668798275382.png

The stove was redesigned sometime between then and now with a different control board and location. Maybe the hopper was redesigned too?

Reactions: ARC
The stove was redesigned sometime between then and now with a different control board and location. Maybe the hopper was redesigned too?
According to one of the parts diagrams looks like they went with full tube instead of cover. I had a pallet nail get stuck in my auger one time had to remove motor and pry on auger with a wooden dowel from the half tube section in side the hopper to move auger backward
1668804209920.png

According to one of the parts diagrams looks like they went with full tube instead of cover. I had a pallet nail get stuck in my auger one time had to remove motor and pry on auger with a wooden dowel from the half tube section in side the hopper to move auger backward
View attachment 303121
That’s what mine looks like, and this diagram still has the old board. So the one with auger cover must be very old.