US stove wiseway-gravity fed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

clancey

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2021
Colorado
I did not know where to post this because I am new and slow on computers. Because I am a person who is not really mechanical and having to hire out for people to do things for me I have bought one of these stoves from Ace and it will arrive next week delivered. I picked this pellet stove because of needing no electricity and I am getting ready for the solar flares or other dangerous things happening in the next few years that I am alive and I do not want to be cold. I am old and feeble. I watched all the u-tube video's on this stove and I bought it because I wish to use it in just a emergency if need be for my first defense is having a good generator but if my gas goes out I want to have a second defense which is this strange looking stove. With this stove I bought two three inch --3 feet long double insulated straight piping for a start and did I do right or should I order a different piping size? I intend to have piping go straight up to the roof and out in a storage type of add on room which is 10x10 enclosed with possible some windows--not built yet (April) my outside area under a good roof will be enclosed. The roof is slanted from high to low on the far side but intend to put the heater on the high end thinking it might get better air flow..(about 84 inches ceiling). I just got a estimate to do the work on the install for 2700 dollars and I am thinking this is way too high in price especially without the stove..Now if you good people can offer me any suggestions about this situation I am creating--I would truly appreciate. I most likely will never use it after the first few burns if it gets that far for it is only in a emergency in case I need it for I do not want to freeze. I worry about everything--cme"s solar flares, sun bursts, lol lol..politics, Lots of things to worry about lol lol..Maybe this will be my first and last post before you people get sick of me...Good Luck to Us All---lol lol---Clancey..

Ok...I’ll bite...You’ll need a 2” T pipe and an appliance adapter too....what brand pipe did you buy? Similar to this
1614398600221.jpeg

thank you for the reply but the stove flu is 3 inches wide and two pieces of pipes are three feet each and three inch wide and i have two of them. That adapter is interesting for now but I intend to have a installer do all of this important stuff and can the two pieces of straight piping be used or should I cancel them..I bought with the stove today and this stove will arrive and be delivered next week Wed. Is 2700 dollars a lot of money just to install the stove in your opinion can I get it cheaper by what type of person HVAC or something...So sorry for all these questions but I have no one else to ask...clancey

It is hard to determine your installation needs, but If the installer quoted a price that high I can only assume they intend to go straight out the roof which is probably the best way to do it on this particular stove and stops smoke from getting in and travelling around the building if the wind does its thing, and supply all pipe, termination, flashing, thimbles, hearth pad, and if it is over 14' they will need to (or at least I would) transition to 4" at the stove, and use 4" L type Vent pipe certified for use with pellet fuel burning stoves, and it should be the same type and connections throughout, you shouldn't transition to different vent pipe connections, so I wouldn't buy extra pipe for the installer.

You raise a lot of very good points and I appreciate. I have spoke to the stove venting people and ask them to negotiate with me buying all the parts and I will pay 1000 dollars for installation for I have already bought the stove and it will arrive in a week and be delivered and tomorrow I will cancel the piping and letting the stove installation people figure that out.. These stove vents 3 feet long by 3 inch wide are 37.50 apiece..at Ace. Wow that surprised me. I will see what this stove installer says on Monday and let you know and I must have to up the price-maybe--who knows but will keep you posted. I appreciate the answers on here from the assorted people so far and glad I have joined the crew here even if I know "nothing" but I am learning.. I am going to set this stove on a straight 3 inch concrete floor that will be put in the outside porch area replacing pellet stones and this happens in April. This project should at least keep me thinking about things--lol lol Thank you for the responses and I will keep you good people in mind and get back when I receive more information--most likely when they deny my negotiation price but we will see....thanks...clancey..Editing forgot to tell you that I will enclose that porch area of 10x10 and this is only for emergencies in case we get hit by a EMT or something--I am a worry wort.....Lol Lol...

Looking at wise way online, not sure you need a “T” actually

Yea that's how I am figuring it with not knowing anything and Monday I will negotiate with the person who going to hook up the stove if our talk goes well...Want to pay him 1000 to hook it up but feeling not likely he will accept the offer...So I will take this project inch by inch here but fill you good people in on the ups and downs..Thanks for the reply and will let you know more Monday after I talk to this man and see what I am up against..Reading all of these postings on here is absolute "Greek" to me but I am learning different little things so that I sound like I know something to keep the price lower...lol Stove coming Wed by delivery or maybe later but its bought and this is just to put in a enclosed room 10x10 for an emergency with some pellets in store...I have boiler heat with a first defense of a stand by generator that is 10 years old and works wonderful----this gravity heater is just in case everything goes bad (electric, gas, etc)...Also when it is done it might look pretty in front of the high wall with the stack going out---who knows....From the ignorant one to people who know---but I am learning and am enjoying your postings.. Thanks and will keep you updated especially after I talk to these people...clancey..

Reactions: Washed-Up
The Wiseway unit does not require a pellet type vent at all. It requires a standard double wall solid fuel appliance (woodstove) vent, not a pellet vent. A 3" or 4" pellet vent won't work with it as it (Wiseway) requires vent that is capable of natural draft and it's not an artificial (induced draft) unit like a typical multifuel stove is. The unit relies on natural draft to operate properly. You don't get that with pellet vent or at least not enough for the Wiseway to run properly.

Furthermore, you want the venting as straight as possible from the unit through the roof to the vent cap. Kind of like a masonry chimmney is....and you don't need a cleanout Tee like you have with a multifuel stove because it will be a straight shot from the stove exhaust to the vent cap above the roof level so any fly ash or soot will drop back into the top of the stove and can be cleaned by removing the first section of venting and cleaning the 'flue' and the stove itself.

While I don't own one, I've read good and not so good about them. They are 100% radiant heat with no blower system though I presume you can add an external electric fan to distribute the heat. Along those lines, because it is 100% radiant heat, the location of the unit should always be on a non combustible hearth as well as a non combustible back wall. I'd suggest building a brick or fieldstone hearth and reflecting back wall if your back wall is combustible (as in drywall).

They get pretty hot in operation (so I've read) and I've also read they can be difficult to regulate in as much as they rely on a 100% gravity feed to feed the pellets into the burn chamber and natural thermal draft to cause combustion of the fuel.

Finally, they are a pellet only unit and not capable of combusting any other biomass but premium hardwood pellets. No corn, no cherry pits, nothing but premium hardwood pellets.

If I lived in a cabin or open floor plan dwelling. I'd consider one. I don't.

Good luck with it. It will require a 'learning curve' to get it running correctly from what I've read.

I haven't a clue about install costs but it will entail setting the unit on my previously mentioned non combustible hearth pad and backer wall, installing the venting, the ceiling support for the venting as well as the openings for the vent, a waterproof roof flange and the vent cap, all of which will be construction costs.

Looking at wise way online, not sure you need a “T” actually
You don't. Nothing that is related to a conventional induced draft biomass stove applies to the Wiseway. it's more of a high efficiency wood stove that burns pellets rather than chunk wood and unlike a chunk wood stove, they produce little creosote, just fly ash and some soot.

The guy who invented it must have sold the patent rights to USSC because at one time, he had his own website and sold them direct. I think he was in California somewhere.

Thank you everyone for the replies---and that information flip you gave is wonderful and at the same time I wrote another thread asking about the drafting seems its real important on here. You gave me a lot to consider on how to place this "thing" so that at least I try to do it right...The thing I dread is starting it with one of those propane things and are there other ways to start it? Thanks so much everybody and I have plenty of ammunition for this stove installer and will keep you all posted on what he says...If he does not like "my grand ideas" I might be talking to the whole colorado stove putter in people--lol Thanks clancey.

You don't need to initiate combustion with a propane torch, you can use jelled firestarter and a match on the pellets to start it. Reason why they use a propane torch is to get the initial thermal draft going but jelled firestarter will do the same thing. Keep in mind that for the stove to draft properly, the 'flue' must be warmed above ambient room temp.

Thanks appreciate the good information and I sure like that Jell thing..thanks..Will keep you all posted..clancey

That is so very interesting and today I will do some research on this--that stove is very pretty and I like that tiny one as well..Will post back and no one ever mentioned any other kind of gravity fed stove but I was asking about pellets not compressed logs--going to get into more detail today about this suggestion..Thanks clancey...

Issues I see is... One, it takes compressed logs, where do you get them at? Never seen them anywhere around here, certainly not at TSC so fuel is an issue. Pellets are not an issue.

Secondly, still uses electricity, it has built in fans (just like a pellet stove) and you want to divorce yourself from using electricity. If you went that route might as well just buy a conventional pellet stove.

Thirdly price. Those units are expensive as a Harman and certainly no where near as aesthetically pleasing. In fact they look like the old style Magnum Baby Countryside stove that was around 25 years ago.

Tt may be gravity feed but it's not electricity independent like the Wiseway is.

Yup---I am doing my research and even left my number at a store in Idaho where they are well knowned---but the factors that you mentioned are factors that I really want in a emergency as well as having adequate fuel supply.. I really do not wish to have to soak my left over paper to burn and dry out in a emergency--although in a emergency this effort would be a good deal--free.. Just kidding here and because of the electric use and the expense of the logs I will stick with "the thing" and work from there...Thanks for following this posting and keeping with me on this for I need all the help that I can get..lol....Those stoves are sure nice looking ones and so compact and I am enjoying finding out about them and the mini one is just toooo cute...thanks for the posting...clancey

Reactions: Washed-Up
Yea that's true but I heard that the eastern coast has those very good fir pellets that leave hardly any ash. Of course this would take a different person then me but I saw a u-tube video where the person was showing how to keep a coal fire going---not the soft kind --but the more environmental kind of coal --clean burning--that was impressive to see a expert do that and I never knew about any of this stuff before I started looking into stoves. But that is a lot of tending and work but in the old day those people were strong.. I like to know how people store their pellets that they buy and how long do they stay good? That's my question of today...If I am able to accomplish all of this I will be looking to buy some bags of pellets maybe about 25 bags and does age hurt them if you keep them dry?, I imagine that people just lay the bags on top of one another and take out small bucket fulls at a time...I HAVE THE BUCKET- yes....Bye clancey..

another unit that requires no electric Liberator Rocket heater stove . wood splits, pellets, or the compressed logs. i do not know their status with the epa at this time.

note : I am not a fan of USSC having had one of their offerings about 9 years ago- bad experience.

Thanks Blades I will check this out and get back to you on here...My mind is figuring out a lot of things for this is just a 2nd defense action if the all the power goes off--electric and gas..Thanks again--clancey

I checked into the Rocket Heater and it looks good for everyday heating and it is very versatile as well but the truth is --It is just too big of a beast for me. I would truly like to know Blades what your bad experience was with the USSC so at least I can become aware of it.. This Rocket heater burns split wood and all kinds of assorted wood and branches and looks very clean and nice but just tooooo large for me to handle and also it seems to like a chimney type of deal where it should be the only thing exhausting. They have a smaller one that is interesting but it comes from another country and I am America First..My gut tells me to stick with "the thing" for my first experience and learn and work from there...I want wheels on the heater as well..Your rocket one can do all kinds of things if you buy the different parts--heating and cooking which is a asset to the heater...Thankyou so much but I will stick with USSC to learn about drafts and flu's and stuff like that and if need be I can easily wheel it to the trash if I get disgusted with it and my first concern is not to burn down my home in the meanwhile for I am a worry wort...Thanks...Why not happy with the USSC.. I know about the back burns from years ago but they I think fix that problem by sealing it--but anything else I should know about.? clancey..

I like to know how people store their pellets that they buy and how long do they stay good?
I buy my pellets by the skid (75bags per) I buy 6 skids at a time that's 9 tons They are stacked on my back porch
in their original bags. Just topped off the stove with a bag that's 8 years old. They are as good as the day they were made kept high and dry. As long as they are kept dry they should last forever!!

thank you and reading right now all the comments from this stove by home depot people and the majority of them are good so I am going with my gut and sticking to buying this stove instead of cancelling it by Monday.. Your pellet answer gave me a more cheery note and sometimes one has to get strong and go for it...lol Here I go as a owner of "this thing" when it comes and one thing I will do is call the company on Monday to see what their telephone service is like and also ask them about wanting wheels on mine...I will keep you posted especially about the companies attitude...thanks..chancey

I buy them buy the Ton. I keep the wrapping on until I use them. I am using bags from couple of years ago. Like New. Bugs don't get in them. I keep them in Bay of Building. Out of the Weather (most of it). They bring them on trailer and unload with skid steer and I have Wife bring them 9 bags at a time up to back porch and cover with tarp. Zero Problems, 3rd year.

In Washington State you have some good access to stoves and pellets--premium ones. Here in my state Colorado they do not seem to have good ones just home depot and ace and others that are blends and I am looking for premium fir ones that have less ash so now I am will ask the assorted people I meet (installers and fireplace stores and things of that nature about pellets and how to get the good ones so that there will be less ash). I need to figure out how to place the stove so that it is more convenient for me to load and items of that nature but I am working on it including buying some kind of vacuum thing of a jig to help clean it out and also how to take the venting pipes off to clean it good. Sounds like a hell of a lot of work but in a emergency I will thank God for this stove in order to stay warm..I am also inquiring about those eco fans as well, ones that sit on top of a hot surface and spins around quiet--so I am learning...Monday will be the decision day for me when I speak with the installer and the company so we will see..Thanks for the information ..chancey