Usable with hairline crack?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

demo-it

Feb 7, 2014
NJ
Would it be ill advised to burn this if it has a hairline crack in the rear wall?

Thanks

Attachments

• 00k0k_hlfSFvJ1yun_600x450.jpg
    00k0k_hlfSFvJ1yun_600x450.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 1,221
Ah, an Ulefos! The first stove line we sold in 1978....a fine machine! Made in the Dovre foundry in Belgium, but for another company......

I'm going to differ and say it should be no problem to burn, Clean the area around the crack and put some furnace cement on it from the inside and burn away. The rear plate does not hold anything of the stove together - it could be removed and the stove would still hold together and stand up. It's pretty much unheard of for a hairline crack to result in total failure of a part.....

If you are really paranoid, make up a rear liner of a piece of thin SS and use two screws and nuts to mount it - one on either side of the crack (I assume crack is vertical)....etc.

I have seen many old stoves burning fine with small cracks. It might be ok I don't know the stove at all is there any shielding to protect the back panel? I would patch it like webbie said and if there is no protection I would put a fire brick in there to protect that area and hopefully keep the crack from spreading rather than a piece of ss but webbie obviously knows the stove more than I do.

To prevent the crack from going farther, you should drill a small hole about 1/8 " or smaller at the end of crack. It is already farther than you can see, so go another 3/4 to 1 inch in the same direction so it cracks as far as the hole and stops. The radius of the hole at the end of a crack is strong and will not allow it to continue. A little Rutland Stove and Gasket cement over it, and you're good to go. If you want to V grind and weld, use nickel rod or many times they crack along side the weld.

I have a similar stove, the Jotul 602. It has no rear burn plate and thus the back gets hot. Some housesitters cracked its back side too. It's a hairline crack. I had fabricated and installed a rear interior burn plate out of 3/16" steel. It's held up very well and took the heat off the back of the stove. I rubbed furnace cement over the crack and it's been fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.