Use of Creosote Remover Sprays in Pellet Stoves?

Val Posted By Val, Apr 2, 2012 at 1:21 AM

1. Jman87

Jman87
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 21, 2014
    Loc:
    New Hampshire
    I think with any stove you're going to have a little soot buildup, whether it be woodstove or pellet. Creosote - that's a whole other story. Like others have said, if you burn it to low or the quality of your wood or pellets is poor then creosote will build up, there are many factors.

Speaking from experience and the wise advice from members here. I was burning my stove to low and I had a thick creosote film all alongside the firebox. I fired it up, burnt it hotter and haven't had a problem since.

Edit : I re read post and I was making it sound like you were new to stoves, not my intention. My apologies.

Good luck :)

2. kinsmanstoves

kinsmanstoves
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 29, 2007
    Loc:
    Ravenna, Ohio 44266
    If you have creosote in a pellet stove you have a problem. To much air is the biggest issue that causes that type of problem.

Eric

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. lagger

lagger
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Apr 2, 2014
    Loc:
    Bloomingburg NY
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. taytowers

taytowers
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 22, 2014
    Loc:
    Atlantic Canada
    I will check the gaskets... thanks

5. breed5577

breed5577
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 7, 2014
    Loc:
    Northern, NJ
    Did you ever use the creosote removal. I have a lot all of a sudden in my Harman p38+

6. kinsmanstoves

kinsmanstoves
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 29, 2007
    Loc:
    Ravenna, Ohio 44266
    Clean the venting and combustion air path.

Eric

7. breed5577

breed5577
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 7, 2014
    Loc:
    Northern, NJ
    I burnt a funky batch of pellets from TSC last spring when I ran out of Stove Chow. They had a strange smell. My stove got completely fouled up with creosote. I do keep a very clean stove. I sprayed a few applications of creosote remover and the stove looks terrific.

8. allie

allie
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 24, 2019
    Loc:
    Montague, CA
    HI Bill, after reading this post I bought some Rutland creosote remover spray. We have been having real problems with creosote buildup in the auger. Cleaned well with wire brush and sprayed the Rutland into the auger and fire box. It really doesn't want to start after being sprayed. Had to restart a couple of minutes later. Could this be due to the fact that the spray is liquid and making something wet? This is an Osburn pellet stove and we are new owners, no experience. Thinking of buying the CSL cleaning pellets instead. From you post and another is appears that you can just spray the whole inside of the stove and it should start. Are we doing something wrong. Any input from you would be appreciated. Thank you.

9. md2002

md2002
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Oct 18, 2011
    Loc:
    United States
    Last year I had an issue and one of the symptoms was poor air flow in the stove, this in turn created a ton of Creosote on the wall of my stove. Until last year I never had any cresote at all. So like others have said, I think if you get a lot of it then there's something wrong with the stove