Used fireview advise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lead Hot

Oct 15, 2011
Upper Piedmont, NC
I have a chance to look at a 4 year old fireview this week. Anything specific to look for. Might be a second stove in the future.

Unless someone has really mistreated it, a 4 year old Fireview is just like new. May need a new cat, should not need anything else. Check the stones for cracks, the bypass and the cat. The Fireview is a sturdy, well made stove.

In case it was overfired would there be something I could tell by?

Open the top lid and not only check the cat but also the frame that holds the cat to make sure it has not warped. If it has, a new one is not costly. While you are there, look at the bypass and again, check for any warping. There are 3 gaskets to check there too. Cat, bypass and top lid. Inside the stove, look for any warpage or cracked stone. Check the firebox door and look at the gasket. As for the glass or that gasket there is no way to tell without dismantling but I would not go to that extreme.

If there are any doubts you can also call Woodstock and ask for advice. They also sell a kit which will include all gaskets, glue, cement, etc and it is reasonably priced. If you buy used, that I would consider a must. If you replace the cat, there is a difference of opinion on steel vs ceramic. I'm in the steel side there and the newer ones have been improved.

Good luck.

I just got back from looking at the fireview. It turned out to be an older model 201 I think . It had controls on the door. Nothing was cracked just needed some basic clean up. Unfortunately I don't have enough time for any more projects and I would rather stick with the 205 model so I let this one go. He was asking 500. Ever since I started burning wood I'm always searching for wood stoves. It's turning into a real addiction.

That is a shame but I don't blame you for not getting it. The guy lied when he said it was a 4 year old stove and he wanted too much for it too. Someone like that I simply won't deal with. When he lied about the stove's age, what else has he lied about? Best to not find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.