Used Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottydont

Nov 4, 2010
Ontario
Hi all, first post... tons of great info here, glad I found this forum. I'm looking for a used insert and came across this ad on kijiji;

http://london.*****.ca/c-buy-and-se...ireplace-Insert-wood-stove-W0QQAdIdZ237917513 (fill in **** with kijiji)

It is a Regency R-14 medium insert. Does anyone have any knowledge/opinions about this particular stove?

I am also wondering if it's possible to paint the gold parts of the stove (door/faceplate). The wife will NOT go for anything brass/gold coloured. Our recently purchased home was redone in the late 80's early 90's and everything is brass coloured (faucets/door handles/lights etc) and it is her mission to get rid of it all eventually. I would assume that I could just get some black or silver stove paint and tape/spray the gold parts but maybe some of you folks have some experience with this idea.

Is there any reason not to buy a used stove that might be twenty years old?

Thanks in advance!

Scott

As far as the brass goes, spray it down with automotive brake cleaner (look for "DO NOT USE NEAR CHROME") and it'll come off.

Then high temp paint, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.