Used older vs new 500 Oslo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jim and Sue

Feb 19, 2015
Northern Mi
i cleaned our older Regency R-6and noticed some cracks where the air enters in the back of the fire box. I have the opportunity to buy the Jotul for a very good price. I've read mixed reviews on this stove. My experience is with older stoves. We are hearing about 1700 sq '. Wood availability is not an issue. Should I get the Jotul or grab a used pre EPA stove because that is where my experience lies. Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
The Jotul Oslo is a tried and true workhorse. In a proper installation it will provide strong radiant heat year after year. It will burn much cleaner and more efficiently than a pre-EPA stove and will deliver a beautiful fire view that is rare in pre-EPA stoves. All EPA stoves need proper draft and dry wood to perform well. If your flue system meets the stove requirements (6" round and 16-30ft tall) and your firewood is well seasoned, then the Oslo should work fine. This stove in blue-black enamel is a favorite of mine. It looks great all year round.

Most complaints are focused on two issues, ash spill when using the front door and cracks in the base around the grate. Both issues are entirely avoidable. The F500 is primarily a side loader. It needs to have at least 16" clear on the left side of the stove for safe and easy operation. If one opens the front door after weeks of side loading there is bound to be ash build up at the front door ledge. Clear this out first before opening the door. Operation as a front loader is possible, but it is harder to load full and the ash spill can be an issue, especially if logs roll up near the front glass. The cracked base issue is almost always due to operator error by using the ashpan door as a startup air supply. The manual strictly warns about not doing this, with good reason. One should also clean behind the ash pan when dumping out ash. Failure to do so can lead to ash build up getting compacted behind the ash pan. Eventually this buildup can push the ash pan forward enough to prevent the ash pan door from closing tightly and thus leaking air.

There are many EPA stoves in this size or a bit larger. You might also want to consider steel stoves that have a cast iron jacket, especially if front loading is prefered. In Jotul stoves look at the F50 and F55 for comparison.

I am an old-time pre EPA guy, and have owned a half dozen of the old time stoves. Had a 1988 VC Resolute that was a great stove!
Also had two stoves I made from a 55 gallon drum and a 30 gallon drum using Sotz kits. I loved those Sotz stoves!
But, today, Sotz is no longer in business.
Two years ago I bought a shiny new Jotul 500 for $2,500.
This is one beautiful stove! Looks great, has similar lines to the old VC Resolute. Nice big firebox and really cranks out the heat.
With the big glass door it has a great fire view.

Hands down, this Jotul is the best wood stove I ever have had.

I must say it is messy opening those doors. I have plenty of room to use the left side door but still get an ash spill, whether I use the front door or side door.

In spite of that the Jotul is one great wood stove, I love it and so does the girlfriend.

Not sure where you are reading these mixed reviews since most folks here that have an Oslo love this stove.

As BeGreen mentioned the one "issue" I have had is the amount of ash that drops out of the front on to the ash lip when you use the front door . . . but then again, most folks tend to use the side loading door and just use the front door for cleaning purposes.

If you attempt to burn unseasoned wood (as defined by moisture content . . . or in my case I simply cut, split and stack it for a year or more prior to burning) then you most likely not find burning wood in the Oslo (or any modern stove) rewarding.

If you attempt to run the stove like a pre-EPA stove by turning the air control all the way up (on this stove or any other EPA stove) thinking this will result in more heat then you will be disappointed and most likely post a thread about how the EPA has ruined everything and new stoves don't work as well or put out as much heat as older stoves.

There is a slight learning curve to burning efficiently in a modern EPA stove, but it isn't that hard to master. For me, one of the big issues was learning to burn in cycles and knowing when (and when not to) reload the stove.

But getting back to the Oslo . . . over the years I've thought a couple of times about changing out my stove as a new make or model have come out . . . but each and every time I realize that the Oslo has been my main source of heat here and has done so very reliably since 2008 with nothing more than routine maintenance and the change out of some gaskets last year. It's a pretty stove . . . but more importantly for me . . . it is a reliable stove that has kept me and my wife warm year after year.

Reactions: Game warden