Used Parts??? Vermont Stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bone1099

Jan 5, 2009
Northwest GA
Im rebuilding a VC Vigilant and desperately do not want to buy new parts. Is there any source for junk or scrap stoves and parts please point me in the right direction
I know there is a problem with the old vigilant stoves crashing the backplate and i also know that everyone isnt gonna go out and buy the $450 "FIX" and then pay more to rebuild the stove.
so there has to be some scrap parts somewhere mine crashed the backplate but I made a two piece unit from 5/8" plate almost done it's gonna look great maybe then i wil be able to post some pics. thanks.

if your not gonna do it right, why don't ya just leave it be and put in a pipe damper

Bought the stove 45$ New backplate cost my hours but materials were free. Fit and design were the most important concern to preserve the original operating characteristics of the stove. All parts were blasted and painted almost ready for assembly.
Doin it right is the most inportant thing just hoping to save a few bucks on legs, handles, etc...

Looking for usefull input >:-(

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln.

Bone you can not recreate the air passages or baffle secondary air properties without an original part. If you were to spend $450 on parts in a day when the comparable stove is well over $2000 and the stove will last you 20 years, why not get the proper parts and do it once. Also mixing cast panels and a steel fireback, if you are less than perfect in fit, you may crack a panel that is no longer available when expansion takes place, then all your work was for not.

These air passages with original parts are less than laminar airfoils. As for recreating them the new part is as near an exact replica of the original part as could be made. Expansion coefficients between low carbon steel and cast iron at 1000 deg for a plate this size is about .002" and lets face it nobody can cast iron parts to that tolerance. So i guess my next question is for a sources or links to someone who frequently rebuilds VC stoves. As always any usefull input is appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.