Used Quadrafire 4100, or new Englander 30? Layout of my space, recommendations for stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nojo

Hearth Supporter
Dec 22, 2009
Western/cent Mass
Hey guys,
We've got a 1800 sqft house, poorly insulated at the moment. Two story colonial. Will be adding another 900 sqft when we finish the attic.

Right now we can get the areas we live in (about 2/3 of the house) fairly well heated with our small 1cbft stove. But we need a re larger one, its a pain constantly stuffing the firebox. We put an oscillating fan on the counter near the stove and it heats the bottom floor (minus dining room which is closed off for now) pretty well, and the half of the top floor we live in gets good heat as well. But keeping the stove at 600 requires adding wood every 1.5-2 hours.

The other concern is that the space where the stove is, is sort of like an alcove and people tend to sit there. Probably because we dont have a dinner table yet. And well its the warmest spot in the house. Would we even be able to sit in that area with either of these stoves?

I can get a used quadrafire 4100 (same as 4300 I guess) for about 600-800. I can get a new Englander for about 8-1k. To be honest I'd probably try to find somthing in the 400 range used. Any recommendations as to these options or a good stove for my space?

Thanks!
110014121955-Adobe-Photoshop-CS4-Untitled-1-66.7-Fan-RGB8-.jpg

If heat is the objective I'd go with a free standing stove over an insert any day.

The 4100 is freestanding. I think they changed the model number in the last 4 years to differentiate between the free standing and insert.

I just got off the phone with a guy whos got a 30-NC gold trim and legs bought at the beginning of the season, fires like 5-10 time for $450. What do you think?

30NC for sure, might be too big for you...but that's the stove I'd get. for 450..that a steal with gold trim.

The summers heat 2200 sqft stove is the same thing right?

794909503068lg.jpg

How do you like that quadrafire? The 4100 freestanding is the same thing.

nojo said:
The summers heat 2200 sqft stove is the same thing right?

794909503068lg.jpg

How do you like that quadrafire? The 4100 freestanding is the same thing.

Yes, same exact stove, cept the Summers Heat comes with nickel trim instead of brass I believe.
Get the cash, go look at the stove, and if it looks ok, buy that sucker. It won't last long at that price. Unless there is something wrong with it.

Go get that stove. If heat is what your looking for that is the stove for you. On your way home stop at Walmart and stock up on some comfortable shorts and tshirts to wear around the house. Good Luck

Sorry I didn't pay attention about this being a main sitting area, yes it will be hot. Just tell the company to come over in shorts and a tshirt. If they don't the first time they will the next. I tend to let the fire burn down some while company is over for dinner. My stove is in the dining area and it would be uncomfortable if it was blazing during dinner to say the least.

Any of you guys have any bright ideas on how to move this thing? Its in his basement. I have an s10 pickup.

nojo said:
Any of you guys have any bright ideas on how to move this thing? Its in his basement. I have an s10 pickup.

The pick up should be fine. Moving stoves in general sucks. Good luck, bring friends.

BrowningBAR said:
nojo said:

The pick up should be fine. Moving stoves in general sucks. Good luck, bring friends.

And beer (after). We (two people) moved our T6 in, and the same stove you're getting out, using 2 8-foot 2x12 boards, and some 3" wood fenceposts as rollers. In your case, just the boards for up the stairs, and a rope attached somewhere up top for safety. Then just roll it along and up into the truck (PS - take off the tailgate if possible). Good luck.

moosetrek said:
BrowningBAR said:
nojo said:

And beer (after). We (two people) moved our T6 in, and the same stove you're getting out, using 2 8-foot 2x12 boards, and some 3" wood fenceposts as rollers. In your case, just the boards for up the stairs, and a rope attached somewhere up top for safety. Then just roll it along and up into the truck (PS - take off the tailgate if possible). Good luck.

I've used 'Forearm Forklift' straps to move my stoves previously. Worked out well with two people, the other person was my 5'4" 108lbs wife. I also use them to lift the Simplicity Lawn Tractor out of mud when I get the damn thing stuck during spring mows.

nojo said:
Hey guys,
We've got a 1800 sqft house, poorly insulated at the moment. Two story colonial. Will be adding another 900 sqft when we finish the attic.

Right now we can get the areas we live in (about 2/3 of the house) fairly well heated with our small 1cbft stove. But we need a re larger one, its a pain constantly stuffing the firebox. We put an oscillating fan on the counter near the stove and it heats the bottom floor (minus dining room which is closed off for now) pretty well, and the half of the top floor we live in gets good heat as well. But keeping the stove at 600 requires adding wood every 1.5-2 hours.

The other concern is that the space where the stove is, is sort of like an alcove and people tend to sit there. Probably because we dont have a dinner table yet. And well its the warmest spot in the house. Would we even be able to sit in that area with either of these stoves?

I can get a used quadrafire 4100 (same as 4300 I guess) for about 600-800. I can get a new Englander for about 8-1k. To be honest I'd probably try to find somthing in the 400 range used. Any recommendations as to these options or a good stove for my space?

Thanks!

In that location I suspect it'll be a hot time in the old bar tonight with the 30NC. If you chose this stove I would look at getting the side shields for it. The 4100 has them built in and sounds like a nice deal if it's in great shape.

We plan on removing the bar in the future leaving the center as an island. Yeah it could be pretty hot there I supposed. Should the heat shields provide a more even heat?

what about attaching soap stones to the side and laying them on top? A friend has a granit company and always has remnant soap stones and such.

You guys think I would be better off with a 13 instead? I've found a few for around 250.

-josh

Man I just got an email a guy wants to trade a Quadrafire 4100 freestanding for my laptop (dell 600m) and $200 bucks. The stove is a bit larger dimensions, and the firebox is 1.1cbft smaller than the englander..

Do you guys know if the Quadrafire (same as 4300 millennium) will use LESS wood to heat my space than the Englander? I keep thinking with a larger firebox I have to get it raging...

I told the guy with the Englander yesterday that I would come down and get it tomorrow. Now I got the other email. Its physical dimensions are smaller and would fit our space a bit better, but its a bigger stove in terms of capacity...

What thinks you guys?

Heres a pic of the quadrafire

SDC11253-1-Medium.JPG

A big stove sounds like a good idea given the expansion plans. As you've noted the current location has some caveats. Any possibility of moving it to a more central location in the living room? If not, side shielding or a convective stove may work better in that location.

BeGreen said:
A big stove sounds like a good idea given the expansion plans. As you've noted the current location has some caveats. Any possibility of moving it to a more central location in the living room? If not, side shielding or a convective stove may work better in that location.

No chance in moving it, unless we put another pipe in. The chimney is masonry where it is.

We plan on changeing the layout of the kitchen in the spring though to this.

layout1.jpg

That's a fairly big change and will help.

Do you guys know if the Quadrafire (same as 4300 millennium) will use LESS wood to heat my space than the Englander? I keep thinking with a larger firebox I have to get it raging…

I have the 4300 and am pleased with it. With that in mind and knowing what I know I would get the 30NC if I were you. btw what are your plans for firewood? I see in your sig that you have wet wood but do you have plans to cut your own?

savageactor7 said:
I have the 4300 and am pleased with it. With that in mind and knowing what I know I would get the 30NC if I were you. btw what are your plans for firewood? I see in your sig that you have wet wood but do you have plans to cut your own?

Im picking up 4 cord of wood on sunday. If I can fit it all in the dump trailer that is. Been split for two years. I plan on cutting all the dead wood I can find on my property. I think I can cover this and next year between what I can get for deadwood and the wood Im getting on sunday.

Any particular reason you would recommend the 30 over the quadrafire?

thanks

1st of all it's good to hear you have a source of wood...and I'm burning standing dead I harvested 10 days ago...but there's a trick to it. Let me know...sounds like you have a good plan so far btw.

As far as why I rec the 30NC ...well.

It's an excellent score esp with that trim package.
In my world bigger is better.
Since I've been here the number of complaints on that stove you could count on 1 hand and still have fingers left over.

As I said we like our QF...just wish we got the bigger stove. That was my mistake ...don't want you to make the same one. I'm a function rather than design guy. Sure the QF is an upscale stove but the NC30 does the job just as well.

Thanks Savage! Whats the trick to your standing deadwood? Ive got a bunch Im cutting down this week. Its hard to think about 80 deg temps when its a balmy 45 outside. Its really nice out today.

The plan for getting the stove is; Large dolly to put it on (4 wheel laydown kind), and a 100lb winch hooked to the fron of the bed and one of those aluminum ramps that moving trucks use. we will see how it goes!

btw nojo I've used those ‘Forearm Forklift’ straps recommended above and it's pretty easy to move a stove with them.

With dead trees the top third or so will burn right away. The rest if split small and left outside will dry out enough to burn weather depending 5-10 days OR a matter of a few up to 8 hours under a hot stove. You'll notice the change in heft after a few hours...just don't rush it. You can mix this wood in with your 2 year cut and split wood and get a good burn.

Don't let any wood touch the stove either, if you can bare hand the bottom of the stove when it's burning hot it should be safe enough to store damp dead wood under. btw this is no substitute for seasoning green live wood, only dead wood.

3430916777_57e5b7ca34.jpg

Here's a pic I took last year about 45 min after I had brought some snow covered splits that were soaking wet with snow. Ideally I like the splits smaller than that but either my splitting eye was off that day or that wood was more prime than usual for some reason.

Mostly I do this for something to do in the winter...I make a game of it and chalk it up to wood lot maintenance. But any wood burners goal should be to get a few years ahead with real seasoned wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.