Used Sirocco 30.1 : signs of overfiring?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bens_igloo

Jan 9, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I am looking at a used BK Sirocco 30.1. It seems in good shape, but I see discoloration on the stove top. Picture below.

Could it be due to overfiring? Should I be worried?

65325893115__DCAEFCAD-80DD-43EC-9070-5CAF16C559F8-preview.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you! I wonder what I’ve done differently on my princess, which I have burned A LOT in for 4 years. The top still looks new!

Thank you! I wonder what I’ve done differently on my princess, which I have burned A LOT in for 4 years. The top still looks new!
The princess I am using looks like that or worse. Do you run your stove low most of the time?

Most of the time on low to very low
This stove was probably run higher like mine is. I have absolutely never run very low and only run low a few weeks out of the year

Makes sense.

last question. There is some paint on the certification sticker on the back. Is there a chance this could cause an issue getting the stove WETT certified?

i am being paranoid but don’t want to spend money on something I can’t use!

thanks in advance.
132ED4B6-434E-4513-AF3A-F3FDE1B5CABD.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
For over fire damage on a BK you need to check the bypass gasket retainers. Big deal to fix this damage if it happens, even requires cutting and welding if it’s bad enough.

Look inside the firebox, up at the top where the bypass door closes and seals. There is a gasket there with thin steel retainer brackets that hold the gasket in place. If these retainers get too hot for whatever reason they can sag down like butter and fail. It happened to me and others.

Just check them. The bypass door should close tight and prevent a slip of paper from being pulled out of the gasket seal all around.

The paint is easily fixed and looks to be more because this guy scrubbed the stove top clean. Cats get very hot at low burns and that semicircle shape corresponds to the hot spot over the cat. The paint then gets weak and can scrub off.

That paint on the back should be removable. It looks like overspray from the wall paint. Maybe latex?

Yes overspray and I assume latex. Not sure how easy it would be to remove

I am looking at a used BK Sirocco 30.1. It seems in good shape, but I see discoloration on the stove top. Picture below.

Could it be due to overfiring? Should I be worried?

View attachment 281938
I have the same semi circle in the paint on my sirocco 30.1 - it's directly above the cat. i also have a bit of fading on the front of the stove at the top, directly across from the cat. I don't think i've overfired my stove.

You gonna run that beauty for another few years ??
I know she’s due for a new CAT..
If you want it back I will bring it to you. If not I will probably leave it in another year. I havnt found an interesting replacement. I still have the regency which worked well. But I like to switch things up.

Reactions: Rob_Red
If you want it back I will bring it to you. If not I will probably leave it in another year. I havnt found an interesting replacement. I still have the regency which worked well. But I like to switch things up.
Naw, I don’t need it for anything..
I figured if you put a new CAT in it you’d wanna run it at least 2 more seasons, and that’s fine with me !!

Reactions: bholler