Used stove-some have no fire brick??-has some light foam like insulation 3/4"think-what is it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericwest

Dec 17, 2012
Well...I guess my first question is do some stoves NOT have firebrick?..I got this stove used and it has some light weight foam like insulation and its formed to fit the firebox and its 3/4" think roughly...so I think this particular stove did not have firebrick originally...but I can not be sure..you can make a dent in this foam with your thumb if you press hard.....to make matters more confusing I think this company made more than one version of the stove and one had firebrick....the model of this stove is a horizon eclipse..and I know there was more than one version of it made....very difficult to find info about it...could the firebrick have flaked off of this foam??..or is this some high temp ceramic foam and that's all the stove had from the beginning...if this foam is all it ever had what is the name of this foam so I can find it online and buy some...thanks!!!!

Early Countrysides had the expensive light wieght ceramic insulation. Think Space Shuttle Tiles

Hey BioBurner...thanks for the reply...so I mgiht be able to google "pellet stove ceramic insulation" and find it??...thanks for the tip

Might have better luck and try to cast a new fireboard using your old one for a mold die and get the castable refractory at some better hardware stores. Maybe someone can chime in where one may get the high end stuff but I would just cast one.

Quite a few Makers use this Fiber board. Pellet stoves rarely use actual firebrick (few).

Whitefield, Englander, Countryisde (AES) and quite a few others. Many sell a fake backing that gives firebrick appearance.

What model is the stove in question? Some stoves need this board for proper operation. Some it's just looks.

its an old horizon eclipse....so I think finding the exact match is not possible but if I could find the same kind of foam it looks easy to cut...very soft...light weight...not at all like the fake firebrick used in a lot of stoves...the fake firebrick I see in zero clearance fire places and pellet stoves...seems hard to the touch and stiff...this stuff is amazingly soft...from looking at it you would never guess it could hold up to high temps...I did google the castable refractory cement after reading bioburners post...and a $25 dollar bucket of the stuff...makes a 12" x 12" x 1 1/4" board...its cheap enough...but I would have to make a mold...if I could find this other ceramic fireboard...I could probably cut it to fit fairly fast...

Damp sand method is very fast. Wrap the old board with saran wrap and push into tray of damp sand to make the negative. Line the mold with the saran wrap , mix the refractory and pour. Takes me longer to type this message than to do it.

bioburner...wow..thats a great idea!!..easy fast way to make a perfect mold..THANKS...I WILL DO IT....

Make sure you follow the directions for curing and settling out air bubbles(tapping the mold to make bubbles rise to top and not stirring to much to intrain air)

Status
Not open for further replies.