Used stoves and inspectors...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfish740

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2007
Hi-I was wondering if I could ask some advice on installing a used woodstove. I am considering purchasing an Englander 28-3500 add on furnace from another hearth.com member and I'm wondering if code inspectors tend to balk when used stoves are installed. The stove in question is in great shape and will be installed in a basement with the code followed to the letter. My uncle worked at NFPA for years and has sent me all of the current literature on wood stove installs. I live in a small town in New Jersey where wood burning is fairly common, but I was just wondering on what your attitude was toward installing a used stove in a home. Obviously my building department might have a different take on it, but again, just curious. Anyone ever have an inspector give them a hard time about installing a used stove? I know that some areas will only allow EPA/cat stoves, but to my knowledge my area hasn't gone there yet. A few towns in my county have banned OWBs though.

This may be better to post over in the boiler room for more feedback on furnaces.

As far as used furnaces/stoves, even cars, it depends on how it was treated and it's age. This is not an EPA unit, so it would be good to check local regulations. Have you contacted the local building dept. and asked about the inspection procedure? They would be the ones to ask (as well as your insurance company).

BeGreen said:
This may be better to post over in the boiler room for more feedback on furnaces. As far as used furnaces/stoves, even cars, it depends on how it was treated and it's age. This is not an EPA unit, so it would be good to check local regulations. Have you contacted the local building dept. and asked about the inspection procedure?

Unfortunately here in Mayberry the inspector is around once a week because we share with four other towns. I left a message but won't hear from him until next Tuesday or Wednesday.

BeGreen said:
They would be the ones to ask (as well as your insurance company).

I did contact the insurance company who told me that as long as a permit is pulled and the installation was to the building inspector's satisfaction everything was fine with them. They don't require any kind of additional insurance inspection, etc...and it won't affect my premium. God forbid my house ever caught fire I would just need to demonstrate to them that I went through all the proper channels and had my ducks in a row.

*EDIT*

If it would fit better, please move it to the boiler room.

Hi Badfish, yeah its frustrating but Mayberry still plays the tune that you have to dance to ...many town inspectors can be left messages on line or at the town clerks. try that and maybe they'll be of some help.

Well, the good news is that this is a current model furnace and has documentation. Download a copy from Englander's website and print it up. Have that present for the inspector as well as a detailed diagram of how it will be installed, the clearances, how it will be connected and the certification of the flue as ready for connection. If he's a decent guy he will appreciate this and you should be good to go.

BeGreen said:
Well, the good news is that this is a current model furnace and has documentation. Download a copy from Englander's website and print it up. Have that present for the inspector as well as a detailed diagram of how it will be installed, the clearances, how it will be connected and the certification of the flue as ready for connection. If he's a decent guy he will appreciate this and you should be good to go.

Ahhh...good thinking-that never occurred to me. I have a tendency to overengineer everything anyway, so if he sees that I've exceeded every safety measure that should help.

BeGreen said:

I can only speak to our situation here in Bangor . . . but the advice BG offers is sound from our standpoint. We don't care if the woodstove install is new, brought inside from being out in the garage or storage or a used purchase. What we do care about is the condition of the stove/chimney and if the stove was installed per the manufacturing instructions which is why it is important to provide the info to the inspector (otherwise we go back to the 36 inch clearance rule).

Status
Not open for further replies.