Used Tarm Excel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OldStoneHouse

Jan 8, 2010
Eastern Ontario
I've got a line on used Tarm Excel - not sure if it's the 2000 or 2200 that is owned by a colleague of mine. It's got an oil burner in it and his insurance company is making him replace the tanks so he's going to go with propane instead. It's at his cottage which I think at one point he was going to live at but now is just keeping as a cottage so wood doesn't make sense. It's ten years old and I suspect was set up properly with return temp protection but will verify that.

I have a new propane boiler that I will be keeping but I'm wondering if there is an issue with either removing the oil burner and covering it with a plate or just leaving it there - no oil so it won't be used. Any thoughts?

He's not sure what it's worth and neither am I - but it's ten years old so I suspect not a great deal.

The Excel series was completely separate wood and oil combustion chambers. I don't think you would have any issue abandoning the oil in place. I might consider a yearly spray with oil for the inside of the oil chamber just to keep it from rusting since you won't be firing it to drive the moisture from that area.

I tried to buy a "used" Excel since the model was discontinued. Back in Sept I found one that was barely used (never even fired on wood) and we had agreed upon $7500 for a price but the seller sold it out from under me before I could get there with cash.

10 years old would require a serious inspection for me and I would consider it to be worth significantly less.

ac

Excellent, it would be easiest to just leave it in place. I like your idea about the oil spray.

Actually I was reading your post about buying the used Excel - sorry that didn't work out. I'll give this one a careful inspection - I'm hoping it's okay. I'm not expecting it to last 20 years but I thought it would be a good introduction to gasification without as large an outlay of cash.

Reactions: Vizsla
Hi Brad. Since the water jacket surounds both chambers http://www.woodboilers.com/images/stories/documents/excel brochure.pdf
the oil side would get as hot as your water which should keep the moisture down.
As for the burner you can swap it out for a gas one then sell your existing boiler. It would simplify the plumbing.

Offer him 4 or 5K (or less) and lament on how its a discontinued unit.

If it's a new propane boiler, maybe it's real efficient. How about a pellet burner for the empty slot?

Velvetfoot: Nice idea! I had thought about a pellet burner for that space but I wasn't sure how the insurance people might feel about that but it's definitely worth pursuing.

Greg, thanks for that - I have an idea that using a gas burner might not be acceptable to code in Canada. I'll have to look into that too. I was actually thinking less than $4000, like half, because of the age. Is that too little do you think? I'm going to take a look at a Vigas tomorrow, a new one starts at around $6000 so it might be worth it to go new at $4000 used. On the other hand, I really like the Tarm boilers!

I think you will find the Tarm is more money than the Vigas.Let us know after you have a look.

Sure, maybe when new. That boiler was ~$12k new I believe. It is 1/2 through it's expected life. Probably needs major maintenance (ceramics) and has a questionable condition/past. It also needs to be uninstalled and transported.

Start at $2k. Don't pay a DIME over $4k.

ac

Sure go with 2k the worst he can say is no.
It didn't occur to me that gas might not be acceptable. If you already have a gas boiler what differance would it make if the Tarm were gas? Unless its the two devices one flue issue.
Check with TARM in New Hampshire on the cost of new ceramics, it depends on how much he used it. I'm in my fifth season (8 cords/yr) and I'll probably replace the ceramics this summer. IIRC its around $350-400

That's what I'll do, start with $2k and see what he says. I probably won't be able to see it until the 29th as the road isn't plowed. We've had some mild weather though so maybe this weekend might work if the snow is gone.

I'm going to call Tarm this AM and see. I'm not sure either about the gas issue. I'm actually quite confused about the Excel series in Canada. I've got a Tarm price-list from 2009 and it has a sticker on it saying that the Excel is not available in Canada - I know of two locally that are here however and the manual shows that it is CSA approved. Odd. I'll ask Tarm about that too!

Sure go with 2k the worst he can say is no.
It didn't occur to me that gas might not be acceptable. If you already have a gas boiler what differance would it make if the Tarm were gas? Unless its the two devices one flue issue.
Check with TARM in New Hampshire on the cost of new ceramics, it depends on how much he used it. I'm in my fifth season (8 cords/yr) and I'll probably replace the ceramics this summer. IIRC its around $350-400

Interesting, just spoke with Tarm. There are two styles of refractories in the Excel, the old and the new. This one because of it's age would be the old and would need to be upgraded to the new style. That's about $927 (ouch). It may not need the whole kit but worse case is that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.