Used VC Defiant Encore

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DWMAC82

May 19, 2022
NJ
I am considering purchasing a used VC Defiant Encore wood stove, (pics attached). Since this is not a current model I'm wondering if anyone can comment on the spec of this heater. I don't believe it's got a Cat in it but it's hard to find out for sure based on the literature that's out there. Also there is some damage to the glazing on the outside of one of the doors. Based on the pics I would appreciate any insight that someone may have on this stove. I still haven't found any with the storage shelf on just one side. TIA

IMG_2107.PNG IMG_2110.PNG IMG_2108.PNG IMG_2109.PNG

Which model # is this? The info should be on the UL label on the back of the stove. Note that this could be an expensive project depending on the condition.

And expensive to maintain even if the condition is good

Reactions: D. Hermit
Which model # is this? The info should be on the UL label on the back of the stove. Note that this could be an expensive project depending on the condition.
I haven't been able to determine for sure which model it is. The seller is calling it a Defiant Encore and on the inside of the lid appears to be #0785R. They haven't been able to tell me anything else.

There are a few models with this name. That will be important when ordering parts. Don't buy sight unseen unless the price is free.

Definitely worth doing some in depth research on Vermont Castings stove issues/problems before proceeding.
Welcome to Hearth.

Model is: 2140

Don't buy it.

They stopped making those in '91 so it's at least that old. Parts are expensive and some have been discontinued, it is difficult to work on, and thoigh it appears to have had an easy life, I would choose something less complicated.

Reactions: begreen
They stopped making those in '91 so it's at least that old. Parts are expensive and some have been discontinued, it is difficult to work on, and thoigh it appears to have had an easy life, I would choose something less complicated.
Thank you for the input, do you have an opinion on the newer Defiant model? I'm seeing a few of those as well .

Thank you for the input, do you have an opinion on the newer Defiant model? I'm seeing a few of those as well .
They are better for sure but still overly complicated compared to other stuff on the market