used wood furnace....opinions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeepin in maine

Hearth Supporter
Dec 3, 2007
southern maine
http://cgi.ebay.com:80/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230227793053&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

i've contacted the owner.its in working condition and complete with plenum and blower.its thermostat controlled and he claims an overnite burn when its loaded with dry hardwood.think theres any chance of that?is it worth the money and 2 hour drive?
i'm currently heating with an old lakewood smoke dragon that i converted into a furnace of sorts,and while it kept us warm this winter i buzzed thru 10 cord +.any chance i'll improve on that with this?

we're looking to eventually upgrade to a gasification boiler,but its gonna be at least another 2 years.my house by design doesn't allow a main floor wood stove(i also have a quad 4300 steptop thats gonna be for sale),so heating from the basement was my only choice.i tried everything to get the heat upstairs and finally resorted to building a plenum on the lakewood to enclose the blower outputs,and adding duct work in various places in the house.its worked well enough that i want to continue using the wood forced hot air and keep my fhw as back up(currently only heating domestic) until i can afford the boiler i want.

i want something with better control than what i have now,but i don't want to lose my 8+ hour burn times(almost 9 cu.ft. firebox on the lakewood).
any input or advice will be apprecited.hopefully soon since the auction ends soon.thanks.jeremy

Right now the bid is at $150.00-probably not even the cost of a cord of wood where you are. The furnace is only rated at 100,000btu so if you can save a couple of cords of wood, you would be ahead (minus some cheap labor). If you can get it cheap enough and it last a couple of seasons, I say what the hell, go for it. Got to get back to Ebay-I have an auction to bid on..............LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.