Using 8" Steel Pipe for Chimney on Steel Building

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

landrand

Oct 24, 2006
Negaunee MI
I have a 50'x100' (16' eaves) steel barn that's currently not insulated. I live in Northern Michigan so the winters are long and cold and the temps in the summer can reach 90 deg F. In the summer, the temps in the barn are way to hot so the barn is basically just storage at the moment.

Since it would cost a fortune to insulate the whole barn, within a corner of the barn I plan to build a enclosed area (16'x 30') and use as an heated/cooled work shop. This area would be fully insulated. To heat the shop, I would like to utilize a woodstove and the chimney would be located outside on a gable end of the barn.

This week I visited my local metal scrap yard and he has an 8" inside diameter (8 1/2" OD) by 21' long steel pipe laying around that I could have for $100. The wall dimensions of the pipe are 1/4" thick.

I was wondering what the guru's think about using this pipe as an external chimney on my barn for a woodstove located in the shop. If the 21' length of pipe isn't long enough for draft purposes or to support the minimum dimensions from the metal roof, I could increase the length of pipe by welding on an addition small length to the pipe. Would this pipe be adequate and safe enough to use as an external chimney on a steel building? Thanks for your time!
20180404_182147.jpgDSC00809.JPG

I have a 50'x100' (16' eaves) steel barn that's currently not insulated. I live in Northern Michigan so the winters are long and cold and the temps in the summer can reach 90 deg F. In the summer, the temps in the barn are way to hot so the barn is basically just storage at the moment.

Since it would cost a fortune to insulate the whole barn, within a corner of the barn I plan to build a enclosed area (16'x 30') and use as an heated/cooled work shop. This area would be fully insulated. To heat the shop, I would like to utilize a woodstove and the chimney would be located outside on a gable end of the barn.

This week I visited my local metal scrap yard and he has an 8" inside diameter (8 1/2" OD) by 21' long steel pipe laying around that I could have for $100. The wall dimensions of the pipe are 1/4" thick.

I was wondering what the guru's think about using this pipe as an external chimney on my barn for a woodstove located in the shop. If the 21' length of pipe isn't long enough for draft purposes or to support the minimum dimensions from the metal roof, I could increase the length of pipe by welding on an addition small length to the pipe. Would this pipe be adequate and safe enough to use as an external chimney on a steel building? Thanks for your time!View attachment 295703View attachment 295704
Lots of people use well casing as chimneys but it doesn't meet any minimum code and won't perform very well when compared to an actual chimney because it will lose so much heat

Reactions: landrand
I would use proper double wall pipe and probably would go with a less expensive economy line. It would cost more than 100 bucks but it would actually draft properly and be safe.

Also being that you are going to be going into an insulated wall use chimney manufacturers thimble.

Reactions: landrand