Using a chimney with cracked liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

edavidsonsawyer

Sep 24, 2018
maine
I recently moved into a home that relies on a stove for heating. I'm new to this. I checked out the chimney and it looks to me like the lining is cracked and pretty well covered with creosote (photo attached). I don't mind installing a stainless steel liner, but I don't want to do that until the chimney is clean. Unfortunately, this time of year cleaning services book up and I can't get anyone sooner than late October.

So my question: Is this the kind of thing that makes the chimney too dangerous to use for a month while I have it cleaned and install a liner?

And while I'm here, can a SS liner just be installed within the old ceramic, and if so does it need more insulation?

I appreciate any wisdom you all can share.
IMG_20180924_101003.jpg

I'm not your guy for am answer, but, the 1st thing the pros are gonna ask is what size is the existing opening ?

I think the opening is 7x7". The chimney has two flues, but this is the one I would be using. I've measured from the top and bottom, though when I look up the flue the opening isn't square. Maybe the lining isn't straight?

I recently moved into a home that relies on a stove for heating. I'm new to this. I checked out the chimney and it looks to me like the lining is cracked and pretty well covered with creosote (photo attached). I don't mind installing a stainless steel liner, but I don't want to do that until the chimney is clean. Unfortunately, this time of year cleaning services book up and I can't get anyone sooner than late October.

So my question: Is this the kind of thing that makes the chimney too dangerous to use for a month while I have it cleaned and install a liner?

And while I'm here, can a SS liner just be installed within the old ceramic, and if so does it need more insulation?

I appreciate any wisdom you all can share. View attachment 229935
That is pretty dirty and pretty cracked up. I would recomend removing the clay cleaning the surrounding masonry then installing an insulated ss liner

Does the clay liner provide any structural support? Just curious, if you break the clay out, what's left, one layer of brick?

Does the clay liner provide any structural support? Just curious, if you break the clay out, what's left, one layer of brick?
The clay liners are not structural. What is left after the clay is removed all depends upon how the chimney was constructed. Usually you are just left with the outer brick structure. But because this is a multi flue chimney it will be different. It should have a brick wall between the liners but often it is just loose fill. That can be a real pita when breaking out tiles.

I will say that when we break out liners that look like these most of the time the outside of the clay is just as dirty as the inside. Even if you could fit an insulated liner inside the old clay it still wouldnt be right because of that trapped creosote.

Reactions: edavidsonsawyer
Thanks, this is at least confirming that we ought to go all the way and tear out the old lining before installing a new one.

A couple companies I've asked have said they wouldn't be able to get to it before December. Is there a way to operate a stove on this chimney so it's relatively "safer", or is it just going to be a matter of rolling the dice any time I want heat this fall?

Thanks, this is at least confirming that we ought to go all the way and tear out the old lining before installing a new one.

A couple companies I've asked have said they wouldn't be able to get to it before December. Is there a way to operate a stove on this chimney so it's relatively "safer", or is it just going to be a matter of rolling the dice any time I want heat this fall?
It is a roll of the dice. I have seen much worse than that in use but i have seen better cause problems. You could always look into a prefab class a chimney elsewhere and abandon that masonry flue. If you are reasonably handy and can follow directions you could probably self install one.

Removing old clay liners really is not a diy job. Especially in a multi flue chimney. If i damage the other liner as a pro my insurance will replace it. If you do it you will be buying 2 liners.