Using a large fan to speed up the seasoning process?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan in Little Rock

Nov 20, 2005
I heard somewhere that there is no such thing as a stupid question, so here goes:

I have a couple of large (32") fans and a fair amount of oak that I cut just a few months ago. Would stacking this wood in front of the fans speed the drying process up enough to use the wood this season? This would be done in an insulated (but not airtight) garage.

Thanks

Dan in Little Rock said:
I heard somewhere that there is no such thing as a stupid question, so here goes:

I have a couple of large (32") fans and a fair amount of oak that I cut just a few months ago. Would stacking this wood in front of the fans speed the drying process up enough to use the wood this season? This would be done in an insulated (but not airtight) garage.

Thanks
Humm , I would think it would take a lot of energy to do this and for a long time. "ME" ....... i normally take two seasions to seasion my oak and 9 months for other wood.

I think you will be wasting alot of electricity. My experience is.....

Wood does not dry until it is split. ( At least in my humid, VA coastline area).

The fastest I get wood to dry is to split it, stack it single file, with sun exposure, and with a plastic cover ONLY on the top- not covering the sides.

The thiner the splits, the quicker the dry time. The oak I'm burning now was dropped in June.

It just takes awhile for that water to migrate out from the center of the wood, and I don't think a fan will speed up that process!

Good Luck and stay warm.

Sandor has it right. I would just add that if you can stack it so that the prevailing winds blow through the stack it will dry a bit quicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.