Using a wood stove chimney for pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HolySoldierJr

Feb 14, 2017
Western NY
Hello 'Ministers of Fire',

Yes that Thread Title has shown up in a lot of searches, but I think I have a unique situation. I've been searching and reading (a lot of informative threads!) but I haven't found anything that relates to what's going on here.

I just bought this house, and a friend gave me an older Enviro EF2 pellet stove. It looks like the prior owners (the house was empty for over a year, so I couldn't tell you for sure) had a wood stove on the hearth, but I wanted to give pellets a shot instead.

So getting stuff measured and fitted for some piping, I realize I need the following for this set-up. 2 clean-out tee's, one 90 degree elbow, and about 22 feet of straight pipe.

The first tee will be a 3" to 4" increaser, because I'm above the limit for 3". I understand the clean-out tee's are supposed to be at the bottom of a vertical run of piping, but I cannot put one in the chimney as it currently sits.

There's a metal plate that is even with the 6" pipe in the chimney that I cannot get out. At first I thought it was a flue or damper plate, but there's no way to move it, the chimney has a wall built all the way around it and there are no levers. Even if I could sit the clean-out tee on top of the plate, I couldn't get to it to clean, so what's the point?

I've included a picture and diagram that will hopefully show what I want to do with the stove. Does anyone know what the functionality of the plate could be, and if you think it would be harmful to remove it? Or maybe, can I swap the clean-out tee and elbow and clean out the horizontal pipe and elbow from the front of the pellet stove?

Thanks for any help/advice - I appreciate it!

-Brian

I would put a stainless steel pellet stove flex liner in the chimney And then just clean it by pulling a rope and brush down from the top. Well, I actually do that but my pellet stove in the basement vents into a 5.5" wood stove liner.

A pellet rated liner is a hell of a lot cheaper and easier to install and clean than pellet pipe in a chimney.

Ah, ok thanks. I hadn't looked at using flex pipe.

Does it need any supports along the horizontal section? There will be about 18"-20" of horizontal pipe.

Also, do you know what the 'turning radius' of .006 thickness SS? I don't see that spec on the sites, I want to make sure I have enough clearance at the bottom of the chimney....

I turned the 5.5" 90 degrees into the thimble with one person up top and one down below doing it slowly. The smaller diameter pellet vent should be really easy. No need for support for that short a horizontal pipe.

I have a similar setup with my stove connected to flex liner in a masonry chimney. I put a clean out tee instead of an elbow before it goes into the chimney for easier cleaning of the horizontal section and tee in the chimney since the original chimney clean out is way too low at the bottom.