Using Aluminum foil to cover BBQ grill grates? Any tips?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello
To keep the propane gas grill grates cleaner, we tried wrapping tin foil over the top. We grilled lamb tips, changed the foil and grilled salmon.
Do you use foil?

Pic 1 - Grillee Lamb tips
Pic 2 - changing foil - grates not to dirty
Pic 3 - grilling salmon - foil helps hold on juices
Pic 4 - put on the veggie racks to grill the vegs
It is harder to keep the grates clean without covering them with tin foil.
Here is the best way I found to clean the grill grates using a HF Soda Blaster.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/cleaning-bbq-grill-grates-with-soda-blasting-like-the-statue-of-liberty.199004/
I did get some grill marks with the tin foil but it would be better without.
Also for grill marks are cast iron grill grates better than Stainless Steel but harder to clean?

AB30C11A-C76D-4C95-96BB-D0F3D13CEA60.jpeg 4D3CED13-4132-4DA9-9785-11383135A4FC.jpeg 868BAA68-10AC-4605-8488-0C0D9C0730AF.jpeg 4572B9DC-BA27-42B8-9EDE-741BD0718A22.jpeg

Last edited:
God No. Unless it's fish or such. You want the grease to stay in the grill or go up in Flame. Not with your food. Grills are easy to clean. Not so much your Arteries.

For now, and to the uneasy guys, the best advice would be to limit the frequency of cooking with aluminum materials. Use them less, or opt for anodized cookwares that leach far less that what the regular does.

Reactions: Don2222

It preferentially accumulates in the brain and has been linked to neurological problems. (Environmental Research, 2002)

Some research has found high aluminum exposure correlates with the development of Alzheimer’s disease. (J Alzheimers Dis, 2011)

Reactions: fbelec
There is nothing difficult about cleaning the grill, takes less than 5 minutes and 4 of the minutes are to get the grill hot. Seems a waste of time and money to use the foil.

Reactions: fbelec
we have stainless steel grates. heat the grill hot enough to turn the grates white or powdery then scrap with a wire brush then i bang each grate so if the brush loses one of it's bristles it will fall thru then spray with oil (watch for the flare up) and cook, nothing sticks. fish go in their own grill basket so they can be turned over without losing anything

god no... putting foil under things you midaswell go in the house and cook your food on the stove top.. You loose the whole taste and effect of a bbq on food

Almost never use foil on the bbq, the smoker I use it more.

I have an old baking sheet that gets used on the bbq. When it's hot I'll use the bbq as an oven to keep the heat out of the house and keep the AC from working harder.

I used to have SS grates on my old Genesis Weber. After 20 years of torture, I had to buy another grill. I got a new webber with cast iron grates.... and that was the correct call.