Using ash to clean stubborn soot of P43 glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gfc

Aug 6, 2021
NH
I am new to pellet stoves and have been running a Harman P43 with Woods and Sons pellets (soft pine) at the rate of about a bag a day. I run on room temperature mode with ignitor off so stove does not cycle down. Once a week I let the stove cool at night and clean in the morning. The soot on the glass has been almost impossible to clean (despite scrubbing with full force) and a search on the internet led me to this tip: dipping a clean, damp cloth in the ash and using that to clean. After failing to clean my glass this morning despite a vigorous scrubbing, I used the ash method and by god it works! My fear is that this will scratch the glass. Is it safe to use the ash method to clean?

I realize it could be the pellets, but I have over a ton and they keep me warm so I won't change yet. I get about an inch of ash in the pan each week.

I used to use ash from my wood stove. It is safe. I assume ash from a pellet stove is safe, too. There is a product that does a better job and is not as messy. Just a bit (about the size of a quarter) on a moist paper towel loosens all the junk off the glass real fast. Then, simply wipe clean with a dry paper towel. A bottle costs about $9 and should last you all season. It is so much easier than using ash.

Rutland Products Hearth and Grill Conditioning Glass Cleaner​

715UftDHrjL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: maraakate
I use Gunk Ammonia free spray glass cleaner. Not sure they make it in a spray can any more. But I have used Invisible Glass and Spray Away glass cleaners also. Not sure if it matter but I usually go with ammonia free. You can get it at the auto parts store or probably even walmart. Just look for Tint Safe or Ammonia free.

Not sure if ammonia wil harm the glass, it looks to have some sort of tint to it. I had the stuff I use here for my tinted windows and figured I would try it. It has worked well. If there is a stubborn spot I will take the paper towel and pick up a small amount of ash and rub that spot. Been doing this for almost 10 years with no issues.

Now if I could find a way to keep it nice and clean.

Damp paper towel with ash. People have been doing it for decades. The glass is ceramic, and will not be harmed. Some mirror glass may be different,but don't think so.After cleaning, then use the Rutland. It leaves a coating, so next cleaning is even easier.Does not take much,and you use it like a car wax, and you don't waste it, by using it for the cleaning. Been using same bottle at least 5 years.

I use England's wood and pellet stove cleaner.
(new label says pellet stove)
Stuff is awesome.. one or two squirts, and the
stuff wipes off with zero effort.
I use it on 2 stoves, 32oz. bottle, will probly last till I die.

Dan
window_clean.JPG

Reactions: gfc and Dan Freeman
The Rutland cleaner has been mentioned twice here. I use this as well, works great. Just make sure you dampen a paper towel first before using it (as per the instructions). Then use a clean towel to kind of "wax off". I'd say the Rutland stuff is more of like a rubbing compound that needs a bit of water to get activated.

I tried the damp towel with ashes method and it works OK, but the Rutland cleaner seems to get more stubborn spots.

I use Gunk Ammonia free spray glass cleaner. Not sure they make it in a spray can any more. But I have used Invisible Glass and Spray Away glass cleaners also. Not sure if it matter but I usually go with ammonia free. You can get it at the auto parts store or probably even walmart. Just look for Tint Safe or Ammonia free.

Not sure if ammonia wil harm the glass, it looks to have some sort of tint to it. I had the stuff I use here for my tinted windows and figured I would try it. It has worked well. If there is a stubborn spot I will take the paper towel and pick up a small amount of ash and rub that spot. Been doing this for almost 10 years with no issues.

Now if I could find a way to keep it nice and clean.
They still make a spray can version of it. You can get it at any auto parts store or probably Wal-Mart. Good cleaner, used it a lot when I was detailing cars many years ago.

Vinegar and water on cool glass work as well

Reactions: gfc
The Rutland cleaner has been mentioned twice here. I use this as well, works great. Just make sure you dampen a paper towel first before using it (as per the instructions). Then use a clean towel to kind of "wax off". I'd say the Rutland stuff is more of like a rubbing compound that needs a bit of water to get activated.

I tried the damp towel with ashes method and it works OK, but the Rutland cleaner seems to get more stubborn spots.

Been using the Rutland cleaner since we got our P43. The air wash on the P43 isn't as effective as it could be and the glass tends to get dirty within a week.

sam

I use a wet newspaper to clean mine. 90% of the time it works great as is. If not, then dipping it in ash always takes care of it easily.

Only thing to watch is that you only grab pure ash. I grabbed a clinker once and did scratch my glass.

Hot glass, I occasionally just brush it with a natural hair brush.

Cold glass like when doing good deep clean, I first vacuum the glass, then use a paper towel and Windex.

Spotless.

I used to use ash from my wood stove. It is safe. I assume ash from a pellet stove is safe, too. There is a product that does a better job and is not as messy. Just a bit (about the size of a quarter) on a moist paper towel loosens all the junk off the glass real fast. Then, simply wipe clean with a dry paper towel. A bottle costs about $9 and should last you all season. It is so much easier than using ash.

Rutland Products Hearth and Grill Conditioning Glass Cleaner​

View attachment 287166
Thanks, I ordered this and it is working well!

Reactions: Mt Bob

Yes, I got the rutland cleaner and it makes cleaning much easier. Thank you.

Thanks, I ordered this and it is working well!
Yep,works great,and leaves a coating,making it easier to clean next time. I clean with damp paper towl on the hard spots, wipe clean, then use this stuff.My bottle is so old,it was drying up,as it is a big bottle,and you only use a little dab.But it is water based,added some water and shook it up .Fine again.

Reactions: Washed-Up
Rutland is crazy expensive up north….but I’ll try it eventually

Wadded Newspaper work great too. When it's cold wet paper towel. Clean my Harmon XXV Daily with Newspaper or PT. No need for any expensive stuff. Alas downside is you can't read the newspaper after all the soot gets on it ( ha ha)

Reactions: Washed-Up
The dealer "gave" me a bottle of Rutland when I bought the stove. It works great. I haven't tried anything else, but I figure if it ain't broke...

I have never scrubbed hard at it... it just wipes the ash right off.

I usually vac the glass first, then a quick wipe with Fantastic takes most of the soot off. About every other cleaning I use the Rutland stuff to get the stubborn stuff off. It works great and very little is required.

Ken