Using Craigslist to scrounge for firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

atomichawg

Feb 28, 2009
central virginia
I placed an ad on craigslist 2 days ago offering free removal of trees that were down or not near buildings or power lines, and have gotten 3 calls so far. Any one else do this? Seems to be a good way to line up free wood.

I just check my locaL CRAIGSLIST free section. Could just be my area, but there are usualy more opertunities than I have time for. Of couse a lot of it is pine, stove length, which is fine by me. I thought of placing an add like yours but have no need to so far.

I find free from time to time. I placed an add and sometimes it works, sometimes you get morons that want you to show insurance for the 150 year old tree over the house (which on the phone is not near anything) and has power lines thru it. They want you to sign that you will not damage the lawn and carry the wood to the curb to load. Oh, and clean the gutters and move the old fridge out of the basement that the people they bought the house from left behind :p I used to go look at them and I ended up driving off 9 out of 10 times. Now I say email me a pic, if they can't I don't waste my time. Amazing how someone can crop stuff out of a pic to try to get you to come out! My best score is a community church netted me over 3 cords of red oak, and a shagbark! Sometimes it pays!

I thought about placing an CL add, but if I'm patient enough something always shows up. Other places to check for firewood is local city/county parks or recycle departments, tree services, and even garage sales where I just scored 3 cords of Oak for $100.

There was just an add for about a half a truck of rounds and 2 trucks of brush, must take all and only with permisission. ZBest of al;l is it was on city right of way :p Add says he will call the cops if anyone takes it without permission. Bet he wakes up to a pile of brush...

In this area, I must see at least 4-5 ads per week of people looking for wood, willing to take down trees for the wood, etc.

I also must see at least 10-15 ads per week of someone looking to have trees taken down for free in exchange for the wood - but you must be licensed, insured, and as someone else said, rake the yard and clean the gutters too. Even better are the ones where they want to charge you to take down their trees but let you keep the wood.

I think part of it has to do with the fact that I am in Central/Eastern MA. It's a somewhat dense area (population wise ;-) ) and in the Northeast, the primary source of heat in the winter is heating oil. I think that with the publicity that oil prices get, and the swings they can take, and with the population density in the immediate area, there are a lot of people who have installed wood heat, so the battle for the wood is fierce.

Now, in the Boston area, I see cords of wood routinely sell for $250-$375/cord, C/S/D. Out in Central MA, I can find it for $140/cord, C/S/D. (All hardwoods.)

I've checked out other northeast states, and the prices for cords of wood seem to have roughly the same range, depending on where you look...

*shrug* This area just seems to be a real PITA to scrounge for wood.

Plus, I discovered my town has nice big piles of logs, wood, etc. at the transfer station - but due to insurance reasons, you are not allowed to cut it up or pick up from there - you can only drop off. ;-( They chip it all into big piles of wood chips that they use around town. But, they are nice enough that if they are taking down trees, and someone in the area wants it, they will drop it off at their house. I've now been watching for town trucks. ;-) ;-)

newstove said:
- but you must be licensed, insured, and as someone else said, rake the yard and clean the gutters too. Even better are the ones where they want to charge you to take down their trees but let you keep the wood.
The problem with CL ads is that the advertisers see what others are asking, not what they're getting. This sets false expectations.

LLigetfa, you are 100% correct. I emailed a guy that had a truck load of wood to get rid of. He said that he had gotten 2 email already and he is going to run it like an ebay aucton, the bidding starts at 50 bucks and he wants the winner to rake the area and reseed since it has been there for 4 months. I emailed back that I will graciously bow out of the race and if he finds the moron to do that, that I must be sitting on a fortune. I am looking to have an addition put on and I will give the guy a cord of oak, please forward my email :cheese:

This is picture of the last "free firewood" I looked at. As you can see, it was a waste of time and gas...

S5030876.jpg

This is surly below 20% moisture!

BV, looks like you are using a nice camera...

Diabel said:
This is surly below 20% moisture!

BV, looks like you are using a nice camera...

The brick? Yes I think it is! :lol:

BigV, that would make a 4th of July fire everyone would remember. And I bet you would end up grabbing some of the better splits and throwing them on your woodpile while you enjoy the burn.

I bet if that stuff were dried under cover there is still a lot of btus in there.

So last night I put an add on craigslist, something to the effect of '' dead trees removed for free. Hardwood only." Got three replies so far. First one was an offer for free business cards for my ''business''. Second was an inquiry as to whether I would take green oak wood, if it were on the ground and cut up already. I wrote back that yes I would take it. Third reply asked if I still needed a Job. I wrote back that I would do whatever I could to help. I am thinking that at least two out of three of these replies are bogus.

Dunebilly said:
I am thinking that at least two out of three of these replies are bogus.
You mean you didn't get the one saying they are interested in paying you full price and that they will send a cashiers cheque and a shipping company will come to pick up what you're selling?

What I don't understand is what do they think they are going to get from me? I mean I put up an add looking for free dead trees.

Well, I got a few more responces to my craigslist add. The woman with the green oak wants to know if I will take the wood even if they only cut it to four foot lengths. Another guy called with a bunch of dead standing pine. Add said hardwood only. Finaly, one couple called with what they think is hardwood. Heading out soon, to check it all out.

4ft oak, heck yes, bring a saw and get r done!

Craigslist is sooo hit or miss. Unfortunately you get idiots most of the time. But then you get the good honest people. This spring I hooked up with a guy that let me cut all I could haul. Me and another guy took about 7 cord of all hardwood out. He made us sign a waiver accepting responsibility for our own actions, I don't think that was asking alot from us, and we had to pile the brush for him so he could push it away with his bobcat. With a little luck, we'll be back in there next spring also.

Status
Not open for further replies.