Using left-over uneven slate tiles for top of hearth platform?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

IndoorSunshine

Jul 23, 2022
Culpeper, VA
We have a box and a half of left-over slate tiles from The Tile Shop (https://www.tileshop.com/products/copper-rust-broken-random-20-8-x-20-8-in-655837). They were used for the floor in our foyer. The wood stove (Woodstock Absolut in grey; https://www.woodstove.com/image/cat...stock-Soapstone-Absolute-211-Installation.pdf) will be located just 15-20 feet away from our open foyer, so we thought it might look nice to use the same type of tiles on top of the hearth platform too. We are thinking of making the platform about 9 inches tall all together, consisting of a wood base (maybe pine or cedar, to have a nice aroma?), and then either one or two layers of cementboard on top of that, topped with the tiles. I'm thinking that some complementary colored rounded stones could be attached on the edge of the platform. I like a rustic look.

The issue is that these slate tiles are quite uneven on the surface. I am wondering if anyone has found a good way to deal with that without throwing off the aesthetic, but that works well enough so the stove doesn't wobble. The factory rep recommended using gauged even-surfaced tiles instead, but I don't have any other use for these slate tiles at this time anyway, so it seems a shame to waste this opportunity and have to spend more money.

(btw, in browsing through this forum, I noticed that someone mentioned making a little cubby hole inside the platform to store things. I am intrigued, but not sure how practical that would be to incorporate. I guess it would be most doable if the platform edge is stained wood rather than covered with stones. We will also be using an outside air duct, and because the stove will not be near an exterior wall, this duct will go through the wall behind the stove, into the stairwell area, where it will make a 90-degree turn and go along the stairwell wall until it reaches an exterior wall. I think the duct hole in the wall will be hidden by the platform.)

If necessary, get several 2" square shims cut up at a local sheet metal shop out of a scrap of 24 ga sheet metal. Use them to level the feet of the stove.

Reactions: IndoorSunshine
For the hearth in my off grid/nothing-to-code tiny house I used cheap 3x9 slate tile from Floor& Decor. They were quite uneven in thickness and were not rated for floor use. As a non-pro I found it fairly easy to (decently) even up the overall surface by back buttering the thinner tiles more heavily (recommend using polymer enriched mortar). The stove legs did not require shimming, no wobble, perhaps due to beginners luck. Installed nearly 2 years ago and no problems so far (I step on the tiles in front of the stove pretty regularly). .

Last edited:
I just use fire board, or stove board, whatever you want to call it. Its like cement with metal on the front. I have no problems at all. It may not be sweet to look at, but I think its safe, and cheap. The cost was probably 150 bucks.

Somehow I don't understand the problem. My hearth is raised and we covered it with rock. no 2 rocks are the same thickness, it looks like rock. Stove has adjustable feet on the legs to level the stove. If your worried about leveling the stove mark out were your stove legs will sit and find 4 tiles the same thickness and place them in those spots then work from there. You said you like rustic, rustic isn't smooth or flat.

You can plan and know the exact location of the stove feet. Make sure those four places are exactly flat and level. Pick the good tiles for those locations and do a good job setting them. Or use a different (flat) tile under the stove for an accent.

Slate tile is cheap. Don’t be afraid to trash it if it’s too hard to use in this application. Slate floors in general are undesirable, they flake, hard to grout, warp and bend, etc. The slate tiles do look cool though and I used them on the sides of my hearth platform.

I dont see why it would be a problem. Rock has been around a LONG time, but I see your concern. Probably depends on how thick the rock is. Slate isnt too thick normally. I would think any non combustible rock would be OK?

We have a box and a half of left-over slate tiles from The Tile Shop (https://www.tileshop.com/products/copper-rust-broken-random-20-8-x-20-8-in-655837). They were used for the floor in our foyer. The wood stove (Woodstock Absolut in grey; https://www.woodstove.com/image/cat...stock-Soapstone-Absolute-211-Installation.pdf) will be located just 15-20 feet away from our open foyer, so we thought it might look nice to use the same type of tiles on top of the hearth platform too. We are thinking of making the platform about 9 inches tall all together, consisting of a wood base (maybe pine or cedar, to have a nice aroma?), and then either one or two layers of cementboard on top of that, topped with the tiles. I'm thinking that some complementary colored rounded stones could be attached on the edge of the platform. I like a rustic look.

The issue is that these slate tiles are quite uneven on the surface. I am wondering if anyone has found a good way to deal with that without throwing off the aesthetic, but that works well enough so the stove doesn't wobble. The factory rep recommended using gauged even-surfaced tiles instead, but I don't have any other use for these slate tiles at this time anyway, so it seems a shame to waste this opportunity and have to spend more money.

(btw, in browsing through this forum, I noticed that someone mentioned making a little cubby hole inside the platform to store things. I am intrigued, but not sure how practical that would be to incorporate. I guess it would be most doable if the platform edge is stained wood rather than covered with stones. We will also be using an outside air duct, and because the stove will not be near an exterior wall, this duct will go through the wall behind the stove, into the stairwell area, where it will make a 90-degree turn and go along the stairwell wall until it reaches an exterior wall. I think the duct hole in the wall will be hidden by the platform.)
hey can I see your floor?
I REALLY wanted to do a 9'x 9' foyer area in flagstone but everything in my area is 2.5 thick plus cement board and cement, I would have too much of a rise / would need to cut down a fiberglass door. Not to mention the concern of weight.

I did this on my hearth. I selected the most consistently thick tiles and started with those, then used thinner ones later and buttered them extra thick where necessary, and even used some thin wall packers/shims where required. Turned out nice and the unevenness is an attractive aesthetic.
I'll post a pic later.

I used slate tiles for my hearth. I spent some time at HD picking them out. Yes, not precisely even, but no problem to install them and the Woodstock is rock-steady. It's been 9 years now, and the hearth is just fine.

Reactions: begreen