Would slate tiles on wall be a good idea even if recommended clearance behind stove is met?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

IndoorSunshine

Jul 23, 2022
Culpeper, VA
We're having a Woodstock Absolut stove installed. The installer will use double-walled pipe, and there will be a heat shield on the back of the stove. We are going to place it the manufacturer-recommended 8.5 inches away from the wall behind it (that's the minimum clearance; I don't want it to stick out in the room much more than that, if possible, though we could move it out another inch or two if necessary). These slate tiles will be on the top and sides of the platform that will be located under the stove: https://www.homedepot.com/p/MSI-Mon...l-Tile-10-sq-ft-Case-SHDMONBLK1224G/202919773

One of the tile reviewers posted a picture showing these tiles used both under a stove and behind it about halfway up the wall. I wasn't planning to do anything to the wall behind the stove, but now I'm wondering if it would be a good precaution anyway, even if the clearance is met, in order to protect the studs and drywall even more? Or is it more of just an aesthetic preference at that point? (FWIW, on the other side of that wall is a stairwell to the basement, which I don't need heated.)

The slate will not offer a lot of protection. If that is a concern the wall needs an insulator behind the slate, a thicker material like full brick, or a heat shield with a ventilated air space behind it.

Reactions: IndoorSunshine
They won't offer a whole lot of protection but I opened up my fireplace and lined it with the same tile as you. We really like the look of them..

20221120_092218.jpg

Slate will just transfer most of the heat right through it, so minimal, if any, protection for the combustibles behind

The grouted slate will provide ember protection if that’s important to you. My wall is bare sheetrock behind the stove at minimum clearances. I would like to do something for aesthetics.

If you want protection you can use concrete board and use ceramic spacers behind it for an air space, then put the tile on it.

Thanks, everyone. Sounds like more protection shouldn't be needed on the wall behind the stove. I do like the aesthetic of the tile going partway up the wall though. So I think we'll just go for that, with nothing special behind it to protect the wall further.

Reactions: Dan Freeman
If you use Durock Next Gen cement backerboard for the slate on the walls and hearth, it will add a little bit of non-combustible insulation. It won't reduce clearances, but maybe a bit more peace of mind.

If you use Durock Next Gen cement backerboard for the slate on the walls and hearth, it will add a little bit of non-combustible insulation. It won't reduce clearances, but maybe a bit more peace of mind.

To be fair, even tile offers a "little bit" of non combustible insulation. Replacing the sheetrock with durock will add even more but there is no value to be gained here. All of this is outside the minimum clearances and it could be bare plywood if desired.

Some folks just thinset the tile right to the sheetrock. Is that what you're proposing @IndoorSunshine ? Either way, the scariest part of a hearth is a gap at the rear where embers could fall behind the hearth surface into that gap where it could smolder into a fire later that night.

To be fair, even tile offers a "little bit" of non combustible insulation. Replacing the sheetrock with durock will add even more but there is no value to be gained here. All of this is outside the minimum clearances and it could be bare plywood if desired.

Some folks just thinset the tile right to the sheetrock. Is that what you're proposing @IndoorSunshine ? Either way, the scariest part of a hearth is a gap at the rear where embers could fall behind the hearth surface into that gap where it could smolder into a fire later that night.
You are correct there. Luckily there is relatively little chance of embers getting back there

Reactions: Highbeam
Too late to help the OP, but here is another example of tile surround. Tile mounted directly to a Durock type material.

wood stove tile surround.jpg

Reactions: Dan Freeman
My progress hybrid has a heat shield and the wall behind the stove is never more than a gentle warm. However right behind the double wall pipe got concerningly hot, possibly because of the adapter I had to use to the double wall pipe effectively creates a very short section of single wall pipe. I bought a chimney pipe heat shield, which doenst change the looks of the stove and all is well now.