Using Non-Contact IR Thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimf

Wondering what area(s) on my Harman XXV I would "shoot" in order to determine temperature differences for different pellet brands. Also, to measure how well the stove is running. Would I just measure the outside or open the door and measure specific spots on the inside (heat exchanger, burn pot, etc.). I'm thinking I would establish a few spots that I would use as reference time and time again. What do you folks feel would be the best area(s)

At the same dial settings, all pellets should result in the same surface temps on a Harman. Especially in stove temp mode.
In most part, I agree with this statement.
Unless of course, it is 4 degrees out side, you want it 73 degrees inside, and you do an IR heat test between Okanagan, Somerset, Inferno and NEWP. Then, you will see a difference. In really cold, cold temps, no matter how efficient or "smart" a stove is, it's heat output will be limited by the quality of its pellets.

Alot of IR guns do not have high enough range to measure anything close to the fire pot. If they do they're very expensive. We're kind of stuck with measuring pellet output as the ESP regulates fuel in Harmans. Mine keeps adding abit more fuel thinking it has low fire because the crosslink takes out some of the firebox heat even though the room is up to heat. System is working very well. It will get a work out when we get a severe cold snap next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.