Using Pellets instead of dry kindlings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Osburn1800i

Nov 23, 2005
Halifax, N.S. Canada
I have tried to fire up the stove using pellets at about a full hand. It seems to get up to the operating temp alot quicker.
So I just want to pass this along to anyone who wanted to give it a try. Since dry kindling is a time consuming process then the cost of less than $4.0/bag inc. tax would help.

Yes, mine is an Osburn 1800i wood insert. I lay the woods from back to front, leave space in the middle for pellets, add few more upper layer crossing woods then squeezing a little fire starter jell to help the fire. It has worked for me so far so just passing on. I am not too sure about the pros and cons but for sure it will cost more money. The pellets contain alot of energy then the fire bring the stove up to operating temperature a little quicker (??).

Somebody on the pellet burner group stated he found a good way to use pellets to light things. He buys rubbing alcohol and pours a small amount in a tin can top. He then tosses in some pellets which soak it up. With that they light off instantly and burn with a hot blue flame till everything gets going. Just dont let them sit there so long the begin to fall apart. Pellets by themselves are a pita to get going sometimes by themselves and I find wood splinters works better but pellets are handy.

What about using pellets and wax in a paper cup?
I may go buy a bag, if it doesnt work out its $5.00 wasted and a free bag of pellets for my friend with the pellet stove

Even though we have a big supply of pellets, I don't use them to start the woodstove. They would fall through the grates and are reluctant to start without a forced draft. Instead, we go to any of the local cabinet makers or mill works and get wood scrap from them for free. It's just the right size, bone dry, and starts instantly. Only problem is that sometimes I feel a little guilty starting a fire with exotic padauk, zebrawood or mahogany scrap.

The way I look at it, pellets are what?...$1000 a bag right now...the 4' diameter x 4' tall pile of "scraps" I get every time I cut and split a trailer load of wood is free. I will probablly just stick with the wood scraps.

Corey

cozy heat for my feet said:
The way I look at it, pellets are what?...$1000 a bag right now...the 4' diameter x 4' tall pile of "scraps" I get every time I cut and split a trailer load of wood is free. I will probablly just stick with the wood scraps.

Corey

When I am splitting and stacking I always intersperse scraps throughout the wood pile. I know that some cold February morning I am going to love myself for the little surprises I will find when I go out to get wood to bring the fire back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.