USSC 5500M Failure wont turn on?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tractorboy924

Jul 7, 2008
Western NY
I have a 5500M stove about 5 yrs old....a trooper of a stove. last night the draft fan was screaching so ok bearing going will get new one.

but at one point she shut off...out of the blue. didnt properly go through the cool down cycle I dont think. Exhaust in the room a little

ok after cooled of I notice the off light is blinking and mode light is blinking which are funny as I know Off mean in Cool down cycle and mode blinking means operating normally?? im thinking my draft / exhaust fan is shot and thats why wont start up?!

I get / had no error codes...when I hit start butting nothing happens and just displays the heat setting HR-2 no error code?

does it think its stuck in cool down cycle or something????????

Should I unlig for a while to resete it or reset to factory defaults....is snothing wrong or just stuck in a shut down mode.

TIA

Should I unlig for a while to resete it
Yes unplug to reset, also check all fuses on back of board. Then run test.

Blinking off button means in shutdown mode should stop after 15 minutes blinking mode means room fan or exhaust fan are in manual mode.

5500M 4 Digit Control Board Test
To run this test the UNIT MUST BE COOLED OFF. Power up the unit by plugging in the power supply cord
to the back of the unit. Press the on button and the circuit board then press and hold the Off and Auger
Delay buttons simultaneously for 3 seconds. To advance through the test press the on key. If the Heat
Range Light is on during every test check Hopper Switch Wires.
1. Exhaust Fan Output Test- The display will show “drift”. The exhaust fan is turned on full then
reduced to a level just above the typical minimum pressure switch setting. The ON LED indicates
whether the pressure sensor is detected. If the pressure switch is not detected, the fan ramps to full
on for two seconds then returns to the previously established level if the pressure switch closes. If
the Draft Fan Fuse is not blown and the fuse detection circuit is functioning, the Draft Fan LED will
be lit and the other three top row LEDs will be off.
2. Room Fan Output Test – The display will show “rfan”. The room fan is turned on full. If the Room
Fan Fuse is not blown and the fuse detection circuit is functioning, the Room Fan LED will be lit and
the other three top row LEDs will be off.
3. Igniter Output Test – The display will show “ignt”. The igniter motor is turned on full. If the Igniter
(AUX) Fuse is not blown and the fuse detection circuit is functioning, the AUX LED will lit and the
other three top row LEDs will be off.
4. Auger Output Test – The display will show “augr”. The auger motor is turned on full. If the auger
fuse is not blown and the fuse detection circuit is functioning, the Heat Range LED will be lit and the
other three top row LEDs will be off.
5. Hopper Switch Test – The display will show “hppr”. If the hopper switch is open (lid is open), the ON
LED will turn on otherwise, it will be off. If the hopper switch is wired in series with the auger, this
test is not valid, and the validation of the hopper switch should be done in the previous Auger
Output test.
6. Thermostat Input Test – The display will show “stat”. If the thermostat input is closed, the ON LED
light will be on, otherwise it will be off.
7. Flue gas Thermistor Test – The display will show the fluegas temperature in degrees F. This should
read 54° F
8. AC Frequency Test - Displays the measured AC frequency in hertz followed by the letter “H”.
This should read 59, 60, or 61H
9. Watchdog Reset – The Watchdog timer is tested to ensure that the board can be reset. The message
“BYE” will be displayed until the Watchdog resets board.

Reactions: Mt Bob
ok will go through the test..thinking the same...I know it say 15 min in cool down mode but been like that since 12 last night so its sorta stuck in that mode.....

I will run the test and see what I get..thanks for thoughts.