USSC 5502M Draft issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gwhits05

Dec 26, 2017
Ohio
Hi, all! Got our 5502M last year and used it all winter with no issues. We relocated it this year and it worked fine for a week or so, but now it's having issues. I ran the diagnostics/initial test and everything worked as described except the exhaust fan output test. The display showed "drft" like it says, but the "on" light and the "draft fan" light did not stay on like they should have. They alternated flashing and I never heard the fan kick on at all. All fuses look fine, but I don't know which one in particular is for the draft fan. Any ideas on the fuse and/or the issue? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hi everyone.
I own a King 5502M stove also and I'm having the same results at member 'gwhits05' posted. I opened the door and the fan ramped up to full speed but with the door closed, it acts like it's going to turn on but doesn't.
What I've done so far to clean:
Vacuumed out the burn pot, all around the sides of the burn pot and took off the two ash cleanouts and vacuumed in there.
Outside pipe - took off the clean out cover at the bottom and cleaned out the vent rise and the termination cap.

Reran test and it's still not giving a pass on the exhaust fan test.

The pipe installation is straight pipe from stove to a 45 then thru the wall thimble to the outside with a vertical of 4ft. The pipe itself is 3". Has 90 elbow with termination cap and clean out cover at the bottom.
it's a 45 elbow inside because the stove sits in the corner of the room.

Not sure what to do next. Any ideas?

Hi, all! Got our 5502M last year and used it all winter with no issues. We relocated it this year and it worked fine for a week or so, but now it's having issues. I ran the diagnostics/initial test and everything worked as described except the exhaust fan output test. The display showed "drft" like it says, but the "on" light and the "draft fan" light did not stay on like they should have. They alternated flashing and I never heard the fan kick on at all. All fuses look fine, but I don't know which one in particular is for the draft fan. Any ideas on the fuse and/or the issue? Thanks in advance.

I have the same model.
1/5/2018 - came home from work and the house was full of smoke. I'm clueless as to why if it errors on no fuel why it won't evacuate the smoke out and then shutdown - I found my post from 2015 and i still have the same issue.

The pipe installation is straight pipe from stove to a 45 then thru the wall thimble to the outside with a vertical of 4ft. The pipe itself is 3". Has 90 elbow with termination cap and clean out cover at the bottom.
it's a 45 elbow inside because the stove sits in the corner of the room.
This horizontal pipe and 45 do they have ash build up? I know you checked the vertical one. But i read nothing about the connection from stove to the clean out T