ussc 5502m venting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

richny02

Mar 3, 2017
md
OK, now that I have the stove running and I'm ready to install I have a question or two regarding the venting. I'm placing the stove on a 45degree angle in a corner so to vent it to the outside I need to come off the back with a 45 elbow then go through the wall. Once outside the "normal" venting would be used with the cleanout tee, 3' up, 90 elbow and termination. However, according to the manual you cant use more than 180 degrees of elbows (2-90's or 1-45 and 1-90). So by using the 45 I would be over the 180 degrees since the tee is considered a 90. By the way this is 3" pipe. Any suggestions or will the 45 be fine?
I previously installed a pellet stove in the same situation (corner install) and used a 45 off the back, straight out the wall(2 one foot pipes and thimble) and just terminated on the outside in one horizontal run with no tee or rise. Since the unit (a p43 and all stoves) are power vented, I saw no need for a "draft rise" and had no problems. Yes I realize soot will build up, unlike an lp appliance, but with a short run and being able to disconnect from the inside to push a brush out for cleaning posed no problems. Yet I don't see this anywhere as a venting option?

OK, now that I have the stove running and I'm ready to install I have a question or two regarding the venting. I'm placing the stove on a 45degree angle in a corner so to vent it to the outside I need to come off the back with a 45 elbow then go through the wall. Once outside the "normal" venting would be used with the cleanout tee, 3' up, 90 elbow and termination. However, according to the manual you cant use more than 180 degrees of elbows (2-90's or 1-45 and 1-90). So by using the 45 I would be over the 180 degrees since the tee is considered a 90. By the way this is 3" pipe. Any suggestions or will the 45 be fine?
I previously installed a pellet stove in the same situation (corner install) and used a 45 off the back, straight out the wall(2 one foot pipes and thimble) and just terminated on the outside in one horizontal run with no tee or rise. Since the unit (a p43 and all stoves) are power vented, I saw no need for a "draft rise" and had no problems. Yes I realize soot will build up, unlike an lp appliance, but with a short run and being able to disconnect from the inside to push a brush out for cleaning posed no problems. Yet I don't see this anywhere as a venting option?
Mine is set up in the corner like you want. What I did having the room to do it was straight out the stove 12" to the clean out T. Up 3' to the 90° with the 90° turned to go straight out of the wall. Having the clean out T inside is nice during extremely cold weather when I want to clean the pipes. But then again I had the room to do it this way.

Reactions: Lake Girl
You can buy a T with 3" in and 4" out and then go 4" venting up the 3 ft to the second 90. That should keep your EVL in line. But personally as long as you keep this vent nice and clean I can't imagine that 45 being so much restriction as to cause trouble but it won't look like the instructions read. Firepot Petes idea is even better.

Mine has a 45 behind the stove, then thru the wall, then to a T, up 6 feet, then elbowed out straight away from the house with a bottom outlet hood.

IMO the draft you gain from having a proper rise, outweighs the little bit of loss of the 45.

I have no problems cleaning mine. After I undo the tee cap, I can push the brush over into the house pipe. Then push it back and feel as it goes through the 45 and then get an idea when it stops at the stove. When I clean this horizontal run, I force the exhaust blower on, it blows the dust out as I knock it loose with the brush.

Reactions: tbear853