USSC 6100 Ducted Setup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Oct 22, 2018
SEPA
Hello all, new poster here.

I purchased a home last summer which came with a USSC American Harvest 6100 ducted into my Oil furnace. I didn't use the stove last year but would like to this year. I've never owned a pellet stove before so I'm taking things slow and doing a ton of reading.

So first off, I don't know the history of the stove. I know a box next to it came with a fresh air kit uninstalled and pressure switch of unknown condition so I know the previous owner was doing work on it.

I plan to give the system a full once over before firing it up, that includes:

- Removing all the old pellets in the hopper (there's at least 100+lbs of old pellets that have started to go bad)
- Clean the burnpot and agitator area (done)
- Remove the blower fans (all 3) and clean them out and maybe replace the gaskets
- Clean the vent piping/tee
- Install fresh pellets and try to fire it up!

Questions I have:

Now with regards to it being ducted into my furnace, i'm assuming i'll have to keep the low speed furnace fan on to circulate around the house. Anything else I should worry about on that end?

The unit has a spot for a 10x20x1 filter on the back. Will any air filter work or is there ones specifically designed for pellet stoves? there' currently none installed and i figured installing one was good practice for the $5 or so it'll cost

Right now there's a manual damper in my ducting for the pellet stove (though it may move on its own with pressure from the blower fan? doesn't seem to be spring loaded) is that okay or should i add an electric damper for safety?

What settings should i set the pellet stove to for proper operation? Heat range/fan speeds or is this just trial an error?

Images of the setup can be found here: