USSC 6220 delay in auger

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If it is the room fan that is coming on and starting the auger then lowering C13 will start it sooner.

C-13- Room Fan On Setpoint- (0-300) -This is the temperature that the measured flue gas
can reach before the flue controlled room fan turns on. If the measured temperature is
higher than this setpoint, the control will turn on the flue controlled room fan. This variable
also serves to indicate to the control that the stove is warm. If the measured temperature is
higher than this setpoint, the stove is considered warm and will not create an Er3. Whether
or not the stove is warm also determines if the unit will recover from a power failure. If the
stove is warm when power is lost and cold when it returns, it will shut down with an Er4.
The default is 150°F

C15 controls the furnace vent fan not the room fan, should be on when plenum thermistor is at 115. I am assuming this is the fan that comes on when the auger starts working is that correct? The room fan is the one that comes out the front of the stove it should come on when the exhaust blower thremistor reaches 150 degrees. Which fan comes on when the auger starts working?
No, incorrect. Lets clarify.

There are two "room fans" side by side that circulate air through the plenum and into the house. Its one of these that is currently seemingly triggering the auger to initially run. Specifically the one nearest the control board. The manual that came with the unit says that this fan comes on when the thermistor on the "draft fan" housing reaches 200F. Another manual I have does state 150F for this to happen.
What I call the "draft fan" pulls air through the fire and blows it out the flue. That fan comes on as soon as you push the on button , even if you have not lit the fire yet. It may vary in speed but does not wait for any temperature reading. The manual says it comes on as soon as you push the on button as well. It has always worked that way. If this is what C15 is referring to then I dont understand that as it never has worked that way.
This problem of the auger not coming on till that "room fan" starts only started happening within the last 2 months. Prior to that, it came on about 3 minutes after you pushed run regardless of any room fan running. Again thats what the manual says should happen. It doesn't mention anything about a temperature reading for this to happen either.

I replaced the control boards with brand new factory boards as I assumed that was causing this issue but the problem persists.

I made up a "neutral wire" harness today to bypass the neutral wires to all componets and connect them direct to the power supply. I wont have time tonight to try that.

Wow I feel foolish I think I took you on a long trip for nothing, I thought it was the second blower coming on and the auger starting I do not think running a new neutral wire will do any good. I believe you have a vacuum problem. Just before the next shutdown to clean turn off the vacuum switch using the C codes C20 set to 1. Then when you start back up vacuum switch will be off. If you start stove and the auger then works you will know it is a vacuum problem. The causes for a vacuum problem are in order: 1 dirty exhaust vent 2 Plugged or cracked vacuum switch hose 3 bad door gaskets 4 loose or broken wires 5 bad vacuum switch 6. bad exhaust blower. Because you state the fire burns good after auger starts you could eliminate reasons 1.3,6 fire would burn poorly. You have checked wiring enough to eliminate 4. That leave 2 plugged or cracked vacuum switch hose or 5 bad vacuum switch. The room blower starting up could be vibrating the switch or hose just enough to activate switch. If auger works with switch turned off I would then turn stove off, remove hose from vacuum switch and blow into it toward the fire box not toward the switch. If hose and metal nipple into fire box are clear then inspect end of hose where it attaches to metal nipple into the firebox, sometimes hose can get brittle there and leak if it is cracked usually you can trim and reattach. This hose is a special high temp silicone hose and can not be replaced with a plain rubber hose. If hose is clear and no cracks I would then replace the vacuum switch. Note I do believe the pressure switch for the 6220 80478 has been replaced with 80549. The attached picture is from my 6039 but I believe your switch is in the same area.

pressure switch.jpg

Wow I feel foolish I think I took you on a long trip for nothing, I thought it was the second blower coming on and the auger starting I do not think running a new neutral wire will do any good. I believe you have a vacuum problem. Just before the next shutdown to clean turn off the vacuum switch using the C codes C20 set to 1. Then when you start back up vacuum switch will be off. If you start stove and the auger then works you will know it is a vacuum problem. The causes for a vacuum problem are in order: 1 dirty exhaust vent 2 Plugged or cracked vacuum switch hose 3 bad door gaskets 4 loose or broken wires 5 bad vacuum switch 6. bad exhaust blower. Because you state the fire burns good after auger starts you could eliminate reasons 1.3,6 fire would burn poorly. You have checked wiring enough to eliminate 4. That leave 2 plugged or cracked vacuum switch hose or 5 bad vacuum switch. The room blower starting up could be vibrating the switch or hose just enough to activate switch. If auger works with switch turned off I would then turn stove off, remove hose from vacuum switch and blow into it toward the fire box not toward the switch. If hose and metal nipple into fire box are clear then inspect end of hose where it attaches to metal nipple into the firebox, sometimes hose can get brittle there and leak if it is cracked usually you can trim and reattach. This hose is a special high temp silicone hose and can not be replaced with a plain rubber hose. If hose is clear and no cracks I would then replace the vacuum switch. Note I do believe the pressure switch for the 6220 80478 has been replaced with 80549. The attached picture is from my 6039 but I believe your switch is in the same area.

View attachment 308546
Im confused. Lets clarify this again. You state
"I thought it was the second blower coming on and the auger starting ."
It is in fact the second blower or "room fan" coming on that seems to trigger the auger. The "draft fan" comes on instantly when you press on and is already running. The right hand "room fan" is typically already running as well by this time.
Its not until the second "room fan" or blower comes on that the auger starts. Ive noticed the auger starts at the same instant that second "room fan" starts. No delay after the fan starts. Fan starts...auger starts.
I can certainly try ignoring the vac switch. I recently blew through the hose and inspected it however.

Reactions: ARC