USSC King Mini 5501S

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Welcome to the forum
All pellet stoves well most pellet stoves are reliable
with proper care and maintenance.
It all depends on what you expect from it
What are you trying to heat? How big?
Will it be your main heat source ? or for part-time use (weekends!)
My biggest concern is a 20 lbs hopper rated at 13 hours of heat.
If it were really cold and you had to use every 45000 BYU my guess
is you would have to fill the hopper 3 or 4 times in 24 hours
I guess it all depends on your application on what you need If you are
looking for a stove with a small footprint then look at Enviro Mini or P3
Costs more but much better quality
Just my nickel's worth.

Thanks for your response. I have an 80 yo old 1250 sq foot home which currently only has minisplit heat, which is not adequate in weather less than 20 degrees, which happens 2-3 times each Va. winter. I really need a backup heat system for when it is extra cold, or when the power goes out. I have debated propane heater vs. pellet stove vs. woodstove. Plan would be to put the stove in a 400 sq foot den at one end of the house, away from the minisplit system to minimize smoke impact on minisplit. Some years ago, we had a small woodstove in that same location, and it actually could heat most of the house very comfortably, as heat travels toward cold. I will only be in this house another 5-7 years, after which it may be torn down, so I am looking for a simple and relatively inexpensive way to supplement heat for emergencies, or for occasional use to reduce electricity bills. I bought this pellet stove because of its light weight and relative ease of installation. But apparently they require a lot of cleaning and tweaking to work. Pellet stoves are apparently much less polluting than woodstoves, but seem to be high maintenance. I need something that works when I need it.

Well, one thing to consider, during a power outage the pellet stove will not work unless you have a good generator..

Reactions: Jeremy6500