v.c. resolute-lower fire back

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

willty

Jan 11, 2008
long island n.y.
hello all ,i have a v.c. acclaim-non-cat.pretty old all cast iron fire box type.it seems to have been abused by the previous owner.i had to replace the combustion package.and was told to check the fire backs .well now i think i understand.there seems to be a gap between the upper und lower fire backs where they meet i noticed when i start a fire flames go behind the lower fire back and come back out beween the upper fire back to exit out the open damper.i believe the to fire backs should be tight .the middle of the lower seems to have a curve to it where it meets the upper i guess i should replace upper and lower backs?.thanks and have great thanksgiving!bill

Just replaced one. It costs under a 100 bucks for all three pieces.

They warp from the intense heat over time. Mine warped so bad they just fell apart.

sounds like your talking about the 3 arches.i need those also.did you get the upper and lower firebacks and the arches for that price?thanks bill p.s. still burning decent though.love these oldies!!

just got a possible dea lon a 4 yr old jotul castine f 400. the resolute i have has warped upper and lower fire backs hairline crack in fire box.can get the the jotul for 900.very good condition.figuring new arches and all the other stuff on the v.c. around 350 minimum .seems like its time to switch.?

Tempting indeed, if the Castine is in excellent condition. Check carefully for cracking around the grate and surrounding base of the firebox. If cracks are showing there, it's an indication that the ashpan door has been frequently used to start fires or was left open at some point. If the stove is perfect, great, it should save you on repairs over the long haul. If the stove is enameled, ever better.

Status
Not open for further replies.