Vacuum options for chimney sweeping

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
For a number of years now, when I do my annual sweeping of my wood insert, I use my ash vacuum to keep the dust down in the room and to remove the buildup in the stove.
I have a wet/dry vac and was curious how people do with a good filter/ bag set up for the annual cleaning. Also, what type of bag/filter is recommended for this?

For a number of years now, when I do my annual sweeping of my wood insert, I use my ash vacuum to keep the dust down in the room and to remove the buildup in the stove.
I have a wet/dry vac and was curious how people do with a good filter/ bag set up for the annual cleaning. Also, what type of bag/filter is recommended for this?
Use a drywall dust bag

Reactions: PaulOinMA
Ok thanks, will do.

I use a Home Depot RIGID shop vacuum with a fine dust filter I reserve for chimney cleaning. Clean the filter when I'm done and let it dry.

I once used my previous, really cheap garage vacuum. The filter slipped off. Imagine my surprise when I turned around in my den. :)

Reactions: Slimdusty
I once used my previous, really cheap garage vacuum. The filter slipped off. Imagine my surprise when I turned around in my den. :)
I can imagine. Exactly what I’m trying to avoid.

I use a shop vac with a HEPA filter. I bought an extra long hose for the shop vac, 25’ I think, but that allows me to set the shop vac just outside my front door while I am cleaning my insert, and the shop vac exhaust blows outward in case the filter lets any dust by. Seems to work well

I use a shop vac with a HEPA filter. I bought an extra long hose for the shop vac, 25’ I think, but that allows me to set the shop vac just outside my front door while I am cleaning my insert, and the shop vac exhaust blows outward in case the filter lets any dust by. Seems to work well
Wow, I like that idea

I shovel the ash into my ash can. Then remove baffle. Then I get a cardboard box that’s about the same size and the firebox. Put it in with top flaps places to funnel all sweepings into it.

Close the door and sweep top down. By the time I get my rods and bush put away all the ash has settled. Fold the flaps and carry to trash can. No need for a vacuum. I have in the past used a vacuum but I no longer see the need for the stove to be that clean. If I were to use a shop vac I would used a drywall bag with a good filter. No need for hepa ash is fine but not that fine.

Reactions: bigealta
I shovel the ash into my ash can. Then remove baffle. Then I get a cardboard box that’s about the same size and the firebox. Put it in with top flaps places to funnel all sweepings into it.

Close the door and sweep top down. By the time I get my rods and bush put away all the ash has settled. Fold the flaps and carry to trash can. No need for a vacuum. I have in the past used a vacuum but I no longer see the need for the stove to be that clean. If I were to use a shop vac I would used a drywall bag with a good filter. No need for hepa ash is fine but not that fine.
Nice, is that for the f400?

I've used a basic small shop vac with a drywall dust bag for 17 yrs now. It's still in service and does well.

Reactions: bigealta and EbS-P
I've used a basic small shop vac with a drywall dust bag for 17 yrs now. It's still in service and does well.
Great, thanks. Any particular filter or will the standard shop vac filter be fine when using the drywall vac bag?

We have a giant Rovac made just for this. Rarely ever get it out anymore. We use the small hand held 5.5 hp 5 gallon shop vacs with a filter and a collection bag. Works flawlessly.

I do the same thing as Slimdusty but without the HEPA filter. I just set the shop vac outside with a long hose. I sucked out the smoke shelves on the two fireplaces when I first moved in. They were heaped with ash and junk and overflowing. The vac sucked it all out just great, no mess at all in the house. I made a plastic tent around the fireplaces just in case to keep the mess down. I'm trying EbS-P's idea with the new insert downstairs.

Reactions: Ctwoodtick
I use a 10 gallon shop vac, but thats because I already have it. Its a dirty job no matter what you do, but well worth it. Hit the shower afterwards, lol...

Reactions: Ctwoodtick
I use a regular old shop vac with a fine dust filter (probably a drywall filter/bag I forget) and havent had any issues with stuff getting through so far.

Reactions: webby3650
I use a regular old shop vac with a fine dust filter (probably a drywall filter/bag I forget) and havent had any issues with stuff getting through so far.
We do the same. Have for years, almost everyday and it works great.

Reactions: begreen
We do the same. Have for years, almost everyday and it works great.
Our insurance requires a "professional grade vac" we have tried others but still use our old Sooteaters. As long as I can still get motors for them I'm not changing

Our insurance requires a "professional grade vac" we have tried others but still use our old Sooteaters. As long as I can still get motors for them I'm not changing
We’ve got a ro-vac. Rarely ever get it out these days.