VaporFire 100 question install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NoobTube

Burning Hunk
Nov 11, 2013
Seymour, CT
Hi guys. My buddy just bought a new house, Brick 2500sqft Ranch with a few split areas. He asked me for some advice on wood heating and we have gone back and forth on some different possibilities. I feel like based on what I've seen, he is a perfect candidate for a Wood Furnace in the basement since he has full walk-out access and the utlities room is located in its own area in the house with its own chimney lined with clay tile.

First question. Kuuma says you can vent into either Insulated Class-A or into a masonry chiney/tile lined via a 6". I was under the impression you would need to get a liner installed in the chimney for an epa stove... If not, this will save a little bit on the install side for him. Let me know

Second: He has existing floor vents for his A/C and he is an HVAC guy, so he has no issues for install. Location is pretty good too. the chimney is not exposed outside but not central. I'm assuming that is good too!

He really wants to get an insert, but given the trek he would have to make through the house to get into the Livingroom where an insert could go, it would make it a bit cumbersome, plus being a Ranch, I don't think he is going to get the heating he wants out of it.

I tried to talk him into either a BK King stove or if an insert, go Princess or possibly Buck 91, since we are East Coast.

He is fortunate that both his chimneys are not exposed to the outside, although I think the Fireplace one might be exposed to the attached garage...

Reactions: woodey
If he has a 6" clay flue, it is probably square, which I'm told doesn't draft quite as well as round, but if it is not an external chimney, it may work. One thing that will be going against him is that Kuumas waste very little heat up the stack compared to others.
I'd give 'em a call...Dale will take the time to answer any questions you have...might even get Daryl on the phone if your lucky.
Better yet, I'll just give 'em a jingle here ;) oh @lampmfg

Last edited:
My guess is its actually two flues... I have not get gotten physical eyes on it... Only photos. as the cap at the peak is quite broad and looks like it has two openings. House was built in 55' if that means anything. We are in CT, so I'm not sure what cost would be to ship from the almost great white north.

I'm trying to sell him on this because of a few factors:
1. American Made
2. Will last a long time
3. Simple operation
4. 2020 EPA standards. He is in the HVAC fields and does a lot of EPA related work so he should be able to relate to quality engineering
5. Really the biggest reason: He likes the idea of wood burning... but he probably won't commit to the lifestyle requirements for it.

Because the VF is going to be in an easy to access location, provide constant and even heat through his house, and is very simple to use, I see it more likely that he actually uses this for the long haul, rather than spending the money on a "Pretty" insert in his living room, which he will get tired of hauling wood to, and keeping a vigilant eye on in the future.

I wish I had known about the VF back when I was looking, I might have been able to swing it and get my wife to let me do it... Although access to my basement was via bilco doors into the basement...

I'm putting a 6" stove pipe into a 8" tile from my Tarm and I'm in the upper end of the recommended draft so far this year. Last season in the bitter cold I was above the recommendation.

My chimney is in the center of the house just off the ridge beam and over 30 feet. Both wood stoves that were previously using that flue had no problems with draft.

I'm trying to sell him on this because of a few factors:
1. American Made
2. Will last a long time
3. Simple operation
4. 2020 EPA standards. He is in the HVAC fields and does a lot of EPA related work so he should be able to relate to quality engineering
5. Really the biggest reason: He likes the idea of wood burning... but he probably won't commit to the lifestyle requirements for it.
I agree, number 5 is a big reason.
If his chimney really is 6", that would be a little unusual, and if it doesn't work out, very difficult to line without breaking out the flue liner...which can be done.
Might be able to get the Kumma boys to sign off on using a 5.5" liner...maybe

I agree, number 5 is a big reason.
If his chimney really is 6", that would be a little unusual, and if it doesn't work out, very difficult to line without breaking out the flue liner...which can be done.
Might be able to get the Kumma boys to sign off on using a 5.5" liner...maybe

I doubt its a 6" Flue pipe but I won't know till I get eyes on it... Mine at my house was an 8" but my house was built in 83

My Kuuma vents into a inside masonry chimney- 40' with 7x11 tile liner- works great. As brenn. said check with the folks at Lamppa (as I also did) before any purchase as they will be very helpful with any questions.

My Kuuma vents into a inside masonry chimney- 40'
40'! !!! Jeez...that thing would probably suck up a cat if it got too near while you were reloading! ;lol

Wow! Yeah I think for him we would go with a 200 given the size and location. The 100 is likely not required for his home. Really though, I need to get my eyes on this house and see what he has going on... He has at least a 20'ft chimney I know that. There are so many unknowns. I really want him to get the Kuuma, but at the end of the day, he needs to answer two questions.
1. Do I really want to heat with wood, or am do I just like to look at pretty flames in my fireplace.
2. Will my wife let me do this...

If she tells him that he can only get an insert. Well... I will need to tailor my conversation with him very carefully. I would lean towards a BK Princess for them, but to understand that every 5-6 years a new combustor will be required. Also he will need to understand why seasoned wood should be burned....

If he doesnt listen to me at that point. I'm literally going to point him to one of the cheapest inserts on the market and tell him good luck.

Alrighty! I got my eyes on the house last night. So before I say anything about the potential, I have to say, this is one solid house. Really built well and had some of the top of the line features back in 55' when it was built. almost the entirety of the house runs off of a low-voltage switch-relay system, which will be a challenge in the future, but seriously kind of neat. Great space too. The house is a split level and the living room is very large... I think 24x16 with 11ft ceilings. The bed rooms are a good 3-4 feet above that on the split.

Now. Both Chimneys, the fireplace are inside the house envelope. I inspected the flue to my best abilities for the fireplace and it definitely can accommodate a 6" liner. I doubt it could fit an 8" Liner for either a Buck91 or BK King. The hearth opening is quite wide at 48" and is faced in Pink Marble with a hearth pad in pink as well(Sooo chic!) Unfortunately only 18" of extension and its not elevated from the floor, so with a stove or insert there, would need to extend that. Either way, they are not attached to the pink marble.

The basement location for a potential Kuuma VF 200 is pretty dang good. Would likely need and OAK though. The oil boiler is all by itself in its own flue (This will be getting removed and a high efficiency Propane one with its own venting and intake will be installed) Easily could install the Kuuma there assuming draft is good. I eyeballed the height of the chimney, and it looks like its 24-26 feet. There is no cap on this one. I could not visually inspect what kind of lining is in the chimney, so I'm hoping for a clay lined flue, but there is a possibility that it is brick, however I have my doubts. The house was built incredibly well, so I'm assuming top of the line everything here.

The only rub I see is that for the Kuuma to work, he will have to install all his own lines in the basement and crawlspaces... Not a problem since he deals with HVAC systems. That being said, I don't think he is going to go with the Kuuma even though its likely the most efficient solution.

I think though given what I see I'm advising him to go with a stove or insert in the living room. He asked me if he could run a vent with a collector from the bedrooms pushing air through the basement and up into the living room. I told him I'd ask here since I don't know if that's legal. I know you should not or can't pull hot air from a space to get it to go to another area, but what he is proposing is akin to putting a box fan at one end of the house blowing cold air towards the stove room to exchange heat.

Let me know on that front as I'm curious myself.

Please shoot us an e-mail at [email protected], and we will get questions answered in detail. We are currently very busy so sorry with my delayed response. Thanks,

Hi guys. My buddy just bought a new house, Brick 2500sqft Ranch with a few split areas. He asked me for some advice on wood heating and we have gone back and forth on some different possibilities. I feel like based on what I've seen, he is a perfect candidate for a Wood Furnace in the basement since he has full walk-out access and the utlities room is located in its own area in the house with its own chimney lined with clay tile.

First question. Kuuma says you can vent into either Insulated Class-A or into a masonry chiney/tile lined via a 6". I was under the impression you would need to get a liner installed in the chimney for an epa stove... If not, this will save a little bit on the install side for him. Let me know

Second: He has existing floor vents for his A/C and he is an HVAC guy, so he has no issues for install. Location is pretty good too. the chimney is not exposed outside but not central. I'm assuming that is good too!

He really wants to get an insert, but given the trek he would have to make through the house to get into the Livingroom where an insert could go, it would make it a bit cumbersome, plus being a Ranch, I don't think he is going to get the heating he wants out of it.

I tried to talk him into either a BK King stove or if an insert, go Princess or possibly Buck 91, since we are East Coast.

He is fortunate that both his chimneys are not exposed to the outside, although I think the Fireplace one might be exposed to the attached garage...
Based on my personal experience with a BK King installed in my basement and connected to a clay lined chimney, I would strongly advise he stay away from any of the BK line of stoves unless he installs an insulated liner or Class A manufactured chimney. It's a sure recipe for creosote in the top of the flue.

Otherwise, if he does do an insulated liner or class A pipe then I would strongly recommend any BK stove or insert. The stoves are top notch, just have cold flue temperature and a masonry/clay lined chimney will end badly.

Last edited:
Sorry, my friend ended up getting a QuadraFire 7100. Its a nice unit. He has it installed with a liner. I really wish he went with a Kuuma, but he and his wife really wanted to sit down and have the ambiance of a fire. Oh well. Perhaps one day I'll be able to put a Kuuma in my house!