VC 1610 repair

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Defiant1610

Oct 12, 2019
Central Virginia
Greetings and thanks for the help. I purchased a Defiant 1610 that is in need of repairs. I am searching for a vendor who can help me sort out what I need. Local shops would prefer to sell me a new stove and can provide no assistance figuring out what I need. Since the large castings are missing, I have nothing to go by.
This is my first VC. It is a NC with an O-TL 1781 and Mfg. Date code 0619.
Suggestions appreciated.

Your local stove shops may be trying to guide you towards something more satisfying and successful. This was not a very good stove in the best of times. It is expensive to repair and the parts are not that robust. Even when perfect it can be a fussy stove to run. If the stove costs $1000+ to get working there may be better options.

In order to suggest a dealer, can you put your location in your avatar? Right now it says Defiant2019.

Your local stove shops may be trying to guide you towards something more satisfying and successful. This was not a very good stove in the best of times. It is expensive to repair and the parts are not that robust. Even when perfect it can be a fussy stove to run. If the stove costs $1000+ to get working there may be better options.

In order to suggest a dealer, can you put your location in your avatar? Right now it says Defiant2019.
What he said.
Good advice.

Thanks,
Central Virginia is my location.
Sorry, I can think of a couple, but they are up in New England. Can you post some pictures of the stove in it's current state? When you say large castings are missing, how large? The top? Do you need a schematic parts diagram or manual?

I have downloaded a schematic but I understand one size does not fit all 1610’s and not all components shown apply to all stoves. The back of the stove is bare metal and the grate is missing. The side refractory pieces are in tact but I am not sure what else is missing.
I have seen a couple of kits available but not sure how to determine if they will fit my stove.
I will try to take photos in the morning,
Thanks

A0499847-4CF6-4F35-99AD-4CC6831C0F24.jpeg

It looks like the entire combustion package is missing. You can likely purchase the complete package, it will not be cheap! I personally, would stay away from the VC non catalytic stoves. Do a search on this forum “never burn”

Yes, the refractory shoe, fountain assembly and fireback are missing in that picture. That's about $1000 for starters, just to find out if there are other issues, like with the bypass assembly, thermostat, etc. Add resealing and regasketing too assuming there are no other issues like cracks developing, heavy rusting, warpage. And again, even new these could be tempermental, frustrating stoves to run.

Last edited:
It is sad. These were very good looking stoves that rode on VC's good name, but unfortunately they were a bad design.

Greetings and thanks for the help. I purchased a Defiant 1610 that is in need of repairs. I am searching for a vendor who can help me sort out what I need. Local shops would prefer to sell me a new stove and can provide no assistance figuring out what I need. Since the large castings are missing, I have nothing to go by.
This is my first VC. It is a NC with an O-TL 1781 and Mfg. Date code 0619.
Suggestions appreciated.
The most helpful, knowledgeable stove guy around.