VC Aspen

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, I see, new to you, but a used stove. In that case watch the crack closely, it may just stay a hairline crack. Cast iron can be welded, but be sure the person has good experience doing this. Or you could price up a replacement part.

Thanks again, BeGreen...the top plate of the Aspen isn't terribly expensive, but may not be available. It sounds to me like your view is that we can continue to carefully use the stove as long as the crack doesn't get any bigger. I'm thinking that hopefully, that would limp us through until we could get a new top plate. Does that sound accurate?

Again, thanks for the insight!

That's probably what I would do as long as the stove burning wasn't obviously affected and the crack dimension didn't change. If concerned, you might be able to tap and screw in a short, steel strap across it to stop it from spreading.

Status
Not open for further replies.