VC Defiant (1610) technical questions...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

What is the position (angle) of the damper plate?

Mine when closed is vertical and is snug against the gasket. When open its at about a 45 degree angle to the closed position. I'm curious because when the damper is not closed I hear a dull rush or roar of air. When I close the damper the dull rush or roar of air is more pronounced and a little louder. I have done some searching on this site and it seems the rush or roar is normal for this stove when the damper is in the closed position, everburn system. The salesman also mentioned this too. When I hear the "noise" the temp of the stove top is around 400F and more. But I have not had my stove past 550F due to the outside temps.

So... is it normal for the dull rush or roar of air when the damper is open?

A side note. The damper handle has a range of motion from 9:00 open to 5:30 closed o'clock.

I have more questions... but I have a feeling something is not right.

Thank you.

Derek

We have the same stove. It works real well. The damper should be either fully open or in the locked
and closed position. When ours is burning real good with 3 to 4 inches of coals and a griddle temp
around 500 we close the damper and then adjust the air for desired temp and length of burn time.
We usually average 10 hours.

Im sorry I didnt add that our stove will also roar with the damper fully open.It is getting alot of air.
When we reach around 500 its time to close the damper and then the secondary burn system will
start. It works real well with a good bed of coals and a V groove of coals front to back. And yes at
this time of closing the damper we hear the roaring sound also. That is how I know its working.

Hope this helps ya.

Thanks Jeb,

After spending may hour of reading and watching videos last night, I've learned a great deal.

Also became a bit concerned over the Everburn system. I now have a piece of aluminum foil near my stove!

I wish I had found before making my decision on the VC 1610. I guess I just have to make the best of the situation. At this time I
have no problems with the stove. That said I haven't had to fire it up very high, to warm out. Next week looks better, colder.

Last night I came to the conclusion (over came my stuborness) that the 22" wood I cut is to long and split a little on the larger side. The 22" works well for the first piece or two. After that you can not get more wood in.

Should I cut the wood in half or cut the wood to bring it to 18"? Splitting smaller is not a problem, I have my father's wood splitter.

When I was sealing up my flue collar to adapter pipe I inspected the damper and damper mechanism. I found that the damper in the updraft is in its normal position (nothing wrong). When closed (downdraft) it sealed good. But I did notice that the lock function was not locking. I adjusted it and it locks now. That would explain why the throw wasn't as much. Also the rushing noise is not there now that I have sealed the flue collar to adapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.