VC Defiant 1945 Chemical Smell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

n3ptune1

Feb 3, 2022
Cape Cod, MA
Hi,

My girlfriend and I moved into a place with a VC Defiant 1945 and had it swept before last weekend's storm. When I ran it in CAT mode a very harsh chemical/paint smell filled up the house that took about 8 hours to burn off.

Is it possible that the previous tenant ran it in bypass mode like a fireplace and by damping down "broke in" the CAT part of the unit? Even though the smell has burnt off 99%, I'm still wondering what additional steps should be taken to make sure it's safe to use.

Thanks,
Chris

Any chance that the owner or tenant resprayed the paint to make it look nice. Fresh stove paint stinks and smokes really bad after the first fire and slowly diminishes over several more fire. Many folks set then up in the driveway with a temporary stack and run a couple of fires to keep the worst out of the house.

Reactions: n3ptune1
Any chance that the owner or tenant resprayed the paint to make it look nice. Fresh stove paint stinks and smokes really bad after the first fire and slowly diminishes over several more fire. Many folks set then up in the driveway with a temporary stack and run a couple of fires to keep the worst out of the house.
It doesn't look like they did, although the stovepipe does look newer than the woodstove.