VC Defiant Encore, Question re: Mating the Back to the stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

homebrewz

Minister of Fire
Nov 29, 2005
East Central, NY
Just about done rebuilding a VC Defiant Encore, Model #0028.

In attaching the back portion (which holds the cat, refractory package, etc.) to the main part of the stove, there is 5/16" gasketing around the top and both sides. Along the bottom there are two small troughs, one along the outside edge about 1/8" wide-more like a groove really, and a wider one, about 7/16" wide and a 1/4" deep. I see the previous owner had filled the larger trough with refractory cement.

From looking at the impossibly small diagram, I think this is the part called the Primary Air Tube.. so I'm guessing this stuff (the cement) shouldn't be there. Does this trough somehow circulate air flow around the bottom of the stove?

Guess what the prior owner did not know what he was doing. You are right it is an air circulation channell Again you have it right remove that refactory to open proper air circulation

Dont forget the side pannel gaskets and the damper gasket the flue collar gasket but I guess you have gotten this far you already got past those areas.

you already got past those two bolts holding in the bcak plate Well letus know how it went

Congrats and enjoy a stove that will act as new.

Yes, and when I bought the stove I thought the owner seemed really knowledgeable about the stove. However, he overfired it consistently, put refractory cement in that channel, and when I took out the cat (which looked like a toasted piece of crud), it was the wrong one.

Thanks.. I chipped out the cement from that channel. Everything is all back together. New gaskets everywhere, new firebacks, new refractory package-cat-heat exchanger... I expect to fire it up in a couple of days.

I'm not sure what you mean by the side panel gaskets? All I can say is that any gasketed surface listed in the manual has received a new gasket: firebacks, damper, doors, ash pan door, griddle, flue collar, stove back..

There are two heat plates left and right in mine I have th2550 model so yours may be different. The side pannels are bolted on
These pannels are also part of the air circulation. If you unbotlt them ,you may find the same gasket material attached to the back as the rear pannel.

No gasket kit t mentions this as they usually are not a removable part or a gasket for a moving part. But if rebuilding and the the old gaskets leak,
you might as well take a pannell off and see for yourself. It does not hurt your rebuild to complete the project.
I believe the bolt heads are either 7/16 or 1/2" I replaced mine when I went threw my stove

From looking at the diagram, I think thats the Right & Left Air/Wear Plate. I did take those off, and there was no sign of gasket material around their edges. There was some refractory cement, but it didn't seem necessary -> It looked like someone other than VC had added the cement. The manual listed all of the gasketed parts, even the firebacks, and these plates weren't listed. However, I did take them out and clean them up.

Like I said my model is the latest model run. Vc did tweak the design and change things with each newer model. They made an effort to make working on the stove easier
Another change is the rear plate on mine is not bolted in, but held by two cast iron wedges that makes cleaning or changing the cat combustor a much easier

Status
Not open for further replies.