VC Encore for $1300 - reasonable price?????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

semipro

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2009
SW Virginia
Local guy is selling a VC Encore 2190 (catalytic) in Green and is asking $1300. He reports its a mid 90s model that's been used little and is in excellent condition.

Is the price reasonable?

Does anyone know if the mid 90s was a time when VC was producing good stuff? The date code is "0144" and there's a "W.H. 16020" on the plate as well. It has standard legs and an 8" outlet pipe.

Thanks in advance.

not sure about your model...but for comparison :

I just purchased a new napolean 1900...epa / double burn , non catylytic stove...delivered for $1400 and rated to heat about 3500 sq ft home. It also has a nice ash pan feature and uses a 6" stovepipe.

did you have your heart set on purchasing only a catayltyic stove ?

I'd guess date is January 14, 1994. And that price seems way too high to me. Did it even retail for that in 1994? Now, granted, my perspective is a barely used 1990 Resolute Acclaim for $125.

dougand3 said:
I'd guess date is January 14, 1994. And that price seems way too high to me. Did it even retail for that in 1994? Now, granted, my perspective is a barely used 1990 Resolute Acclaim for $125.

I agree..$1300 for a used woodstove...that may be many years old, seems a bit ridiculous....unless it also has a flux capacitor built in and a perpetual motion machine :]

I would never pay that price for a used one...

I was convinced not to buy one for a $1000.00 (also a 2190)! Thank you experts!!

Do a search on "encore 2190" & read many wise comments.

btw just last week I missed a 2550 for $400.00 (I was one day late)

Thanks for the opinions. It seemed way high to me also but I wanted a reality check. As my wife reminds me daily my version of reality is flawed ;)

The seller dropped the price to $800. Its getting tempting.

If it is excellent condition - show up with a truck, stong buddy, hand truck, ramps and (5) hundred dollar bills. Bet you drive with away with it.

My experience with VC leads me to believe that all the parts that you will ever be able to get are on the stove now.

have you seen the stove in person?
i think that will have a lot to do with the real answer in this.
$800 is not a bad price DEPENDING on the condition. the enamel paint on these stoves can look god awful if it hasn't been cared for and is now chipped up (pretty much irreversible damage). more importantly, at $800 the internals should be in good working condition short of possibly needing a new catalytic combustor which may be an acceptable investment if all else is good. this means the metal internal components should not be warped and the refractory should be ok. refer to the following diagram:
http://www.discountstove.com/2190.html
parts 27, 28, 35, and 36 should all be in good condition.
digging deeper, you will want to make sure the refractory assembly #9 that holds the combustor is not crumbling and falling apart. it alone costs $210. then there is the combustor itself which should not be crumbling and that is $200 to replace.
fully evaluating all of this is the difference between the stove being worth $800 or $200 honestly. if all of this isn't up to spec then the stove isn't going to run properly.
unfortunately there is no way of seeing the refractory & combustor without pulling 27 & 28. 27 comes right off (if not warped) and 28 comes out by popping the two wedges (21) that hold it in place. stove should be vacuumed out well before doing this.

i believe my 2190 was made in the early 90's and it is actually holding up quite well. i paid $300 for it a couple years ago (a rare deal but they are out there). i bought it without inspecting everything first due to the price. worked out though. refractory was in fair but operable condition. on mine, i can move 28 just enough to remove and inspect the combustor but i need to remove 35 or 36 to fully remove 28 and see the refractory. i'm guessing due to some very minor warping.

this stove has been around long enough that there are enough parts to be found. can your local dealer who would need to order it call and get it easily? maybe, maybe not. but if you order online or call/email enough dealers you will find what you need.

so you see why there is a love/hate relationship with this model. its not simple. all that considered, to me its one of the greatest stoves out there in operation and efficiency!

Status
Not open for further replies.