Help with VC Encore Defiant and Cat Converter!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jlggomez

Jan 1, 2021
Andes, NY USA
Hello all and thanks in advance!

We have an older model VC Encore Defiant at out upstate NY house and this is the first Winter season that we have used the stove pretty much round the clock. Previously, it was used perhaps two or three times each winter since the house was seldom visited during Winter.

We have a masonry chimney with a tile lined 8” flu. I replaced the gasket gaskets a couple of years ago and we never burned green or wet wood. Since the stove was used only a couple of times a year it had been about five years since the last chimney sweep. About two weeks ago, after constant use since October or so we had a chimney fire. The ash pan door was not fully closed and it got extremely hot causing the fire. Very scary. The fire lasted about 4 minutes with a lot of smoke out the chimney and simply burned out on its own.

We called a chimney sweep who cleaned the flu from below, through the little trap door outside at the base of the chimney. He removed all the metal pipes going from the stove into the wall and cleaned those as well. He informed us that he could see no obvious damage to the flu or stove parts and he mentioned the option of lining of the flu with a ss liner as a possibility. We want to do everything possible to prevent this from happening again and would appreciate any tips/advice would be appreciated. Questions:

- Since we have not had the catalytic converter checked, is it ok to run the stove without having it engaged?

- If it turns out that the cat converter is not working optimally or correctly for any reason, is it ok to still use the converter?

- We are handy, is cleaning and/replacing the converter something that a non-professional can do?

Thank you very much for your help!

Last edited:
what is the model number of the stove?

Mine is model #2190.

Another question please and the reason that I asked if it was OK to run the stove without using the combustor. The manual states that it is against the law in the US to operate the stove with the combustor “disengaged or removed”. I am confused by this. First, why is this? Why can I not simply leave the combustor disengaged ( lever to the front)? If the way to minimize the amount of creosote buildup is to run the fire hot, then why when I engage the combustor does the temperature ( flu probe) drop significantly? Is this normal, or is this sign that the combustor is not working properly?
Thank you!

If you remove the throat hood you'll get a view of the catalyst sufficient to vacuum and inspect it. Even if undamaged, it may not be effective anymore and replacement might be a good idea. Also replace the secondary air probe!

Thank you! Will do. Is it easily accessible once I remove the hood?