VC Everburn Firebox

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wgebert

Hearth Supporter
Apr 28, 2007
Hi All, I cleaned the ashes out of the firebox of my VC Encore Non-cat stove today and noticed small chips/pieces of what seemed like stove cement laying in the bottom of the fireback chamber assembly. I reached up inside the chamber assembly and felt lots of what seems like gasket cement scale flaking off. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm not sure but it feels like the inside of the firechamber may have a skim coating of cement, unfortunately it is flaking off on my stove. Also, for whats its worth, I noticed while cleaning the glass on the doors, one side had a glass gasket that was out of position (I think it happened while cleaning it) and I can see how this area (glass gaskets) could be a source of unwanted air to the stove and a place to check if you have overfiring / runaway fire problems. I have had wonderful luck with my stove (have had for 2 years) and love the way it burns and how clean and easy the top loading feature is. I do see how the correct draft is so important for the stove to burn properly. Thanks everyone.

Hi Tug, thanks for the quick review. If you can, post some shots of the stove (exterior) and the cement on the interior. Maybe some other VC everburn owners can compare their stove to yours?

FWIW, Corie noticed a lot of oozing cement on the new VC stoves at the HPBA show this year. It could be the cement you are seeing is just excess.

Unfortunately I do not have a digital camera to show the material peeling / flaking off the inside of the fire chamber. I hope it is cement and not the actual high temp fiber material used to make the unit, that is flaking off.

Should be pretty easy to tell tug. Pull the chunks out and grind them up. If they are very hard and gritty once you grind them down, chances are they're piece of cement. On the other hand, high temp refractory stuff will crush down to a very fine powder with not too much grit.

At least that's what I've seen in my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.